1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Muscovy and Khaki Campbell duck eggs fertile or rotten?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animalz11, Dec 22, 2012.

1. animalz11

animalz11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    QLD Australia
    Hi all...
    Today I decided to candle some ducks eggs that the muscovie's have been sitting on for a few weeks and normally when I candle them the egg just glows under the torch and mostly I see a darker shade band along the shell and this was before the Pekin male was "interested" so I knew they wern't fertile (the Pekin is my only male). Anyways, I went to candle them today and I check one of the first few eggs that has been layed by the Khaki's a few days ago (whenever I get a new egg from the Khaki's I put ot under the 'scovies as the girls are broody), they are constantly being courted by the Pekin so I thiknk there is a good chance their eggs are fertile and I saw a dark circle in the egg which isn't what I normally see, no veins as yet but when I went to candle the muscovie's eggs 2 of them didn't glow at all and were just dark, I couldn't see and air bubble or anything, and I'm unsure when these eggs were laid so I was just wondering what a fertile egg looks like throughout it's development, also what a rotten egg looks like, the eggs don't have an odour they smell like normal duck eggs.
    No pictures sorry because the camera broke.

Thank you all so much and I apologise if the above is worded a bit odd as I'm a bit anxious to know...

p.s. I tried googling it and it didn't help much...
    p.s.s Thanks :)

2. animalz11

Jul 20, 2012
    QLD Australia
    [​IMG]
    2 of the eggs sort of look like this, and to get this picture I had to google "Rotten duck egg" so this kind of kills my hopes... but my 2 eggs are very heavy in comparison to the others. Imagine the picture below but the dark shade covering all of the egg.
    Another 2 of the eggs are only half like this...
    [​IMG] Imagine this picture but with half of the egg black...

I found a link that shows what I see in 2 of the Khaki Campbell eggs, it's the last one, except my 2 eggs the dark mass doesn't move around, and the ducks are always jumped on by the male Pekin when they are in the water, one especially sticks out her neck and then he does his buisness.
    Anyways, this is the link: It's the last egg he candles, but the mass doesn't mov on mine.

Also 3 of the Khaki Campbell eggs have a red thin ring on the side of the middle of the egg, could this be a vein?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  3. Baylor

Baylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2011
    This egg looks cracked thinly which will impact the bacteria that can get inside. If you have a blob like moving then I would assume the others are fertile. If you have a male duck they will likely be fertile eggs.

4. animalz11

Jul 20, 2012
    QLD Australia
    I'll have another look today but as I can remember there are no cracks in mine.
    I was wondering about the male because the 'scovies always scare him away, unless he is getting to them when I'm not there?
    I was a little surprised to see the Khaki's laying so early, the Muscovies took 7 months to lay their first eggs, the Khaki's are only 5 months old (well, 5 months old tomorrow... 24th of every month)

I have 2 Khaki eggs with me now, and they don't look like the store bought chicken ones at all, their air bubble is formed into a thick "C" shape, the area in the middle is a darker band and the tip of the egg has a lighter colour band to it...

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    you have to post pictures of the eggs you are asking questions about or it is all just guessing blindly based on pictures from the internet

6. animalz11

Jul 20, 2012
    QLD Australia
    Ok, I managed to get some pictures using a phone:
    [​IMG]
    These are the broody scovies ^
    [​IMG]
    This is one of the eggs, it has 3 bands of colours, the middle is the darkest and the lightest is what I'm assuming to be the air sack... ^ Muscovy.
    [​IMG]
    This is one of the larger eggs with the light showing through the air sack ^ The air sack size in this photo is the approx. size for the other eggs... Muscovy egg.
    [​IMG]
    One of the eggs laid by the Khaki, about 3-4 days old
    [​IMG]
    This red circle shows up in especially 2 of the Khaki's eggs, this one is also about 3-4 days old
    One if the newer eggs:[​IMG]

7. None of these pics show up on here.

8. animalz11

Jul 20, 2012
    QLD Australia
    OK, I'll try again. Dang technology...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I hope these worked...

9. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast

I would toss all of them in the trash if it were me. Made notes under each egg above. If you want to know if an egg is fertile you crack it open and look for the bullseye, then you know there is a chance for growth if the ducks go broody. Growth doesnt guarantee ducklings since eggs can quit growing at time during incubation and die for unknown reasons.

muscovy --35 days to hatch

domestic ducks --28 days to hatch

10. animalz11

Jul 20, 2012
    QLD Australia
    The muscovies won't let the Pekin near them so I didn't think there was much of a chance of the eggs being fertile, but I thought since they normally sleep in their house all together he got to them, guess not.

Oh well... thank you all for replying so quickly, it's members like you who make this site truely useful and now I don't have to be waiting for ducklings while the eggs go rotten...

The egg with the red ring around it, you said it was a "bad egg" does this mean the embreyo died at an early age or the egg was under developed or it just developed wrong inside her?

Also, since the 'scovies wont let the Pekin near them, will he ever gain up the confidence to be the dominant one? He was raised with the Khaki's and never had much to do with the Muscovies, just got bullied by them when he was younger and that's about it.

[​IMG]
    This is the 2 Khaki's and the Pekin when they were a few days old, I chose the Pekin because it was the smallest and the loudest, so I figured it'd be a girl... wrong.
    He got his name "Peeper" as when ever I went to feed him or he ever saw me, he would huddle with his adopted sisters and peep as loud as he could...
    (From Left to Right): Crackles, Peeper & Pip.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by