Muscovy and long claws!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duck Mad, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Duck Mad

Duck Mad Chirping

Mar 13, 2011
    Rugby
    This isn't my video but thought it was interesting... After having deep scratches off my young Moscovy, I then found out they are climbing birds.. Just found on youtube how high they really climb, no wonder they have long claws! lol
    All Muscovy duck owners, I think we need to look on ebay to buy 30ft trees lol

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    People used to ask me if I had cats....no, just ducklings. [​IMG]

3. Duck Mad

Duck Mad Chirping

Mar 13, 2011
    Rugby
    Quote:[​IMG] That is funny hehe... I was shocked by my small muscovy duckling! .. Aleady had three ducks no problems picking them up, Then picking up muscovy for cuddles I couldnt work out why she was leaving me with loads of scratches lol ... who would of thought they climb up 30ft trees [​IMG]

4. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Songster

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    My scovies claws are really sharp, too. Catching an adult, I have to wear long sleeves or else they could rip my arms up. I watched the video, but it doesnt show any climbing. It says they flapped themselves up there and then climbed around the branches. My scovies are too fat to climb higher than a bale of hay. lol.
    You never know though, if I catch any in my tree-their wings are clipped- I will take pictures for sure. [​IMG]

5. Duck Mad

Duck Mad Chirping

Mar 13, 2011
    Rugby
    Quote:Just watched video again ur right lol ...
    Yep! long sleeves is wise hehe else wrists look like Freddy krugger is about lol funny you should say about bale of hay, my ducks seem too lazy to jump up things other than kitchen door step.. I have a built up pond for fish, I was expecting the ducks to be in it [​IMG] but they rather wait for me to fill up paddling pools ..
    I'll be waiting to see photos [​IMG]

6. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Hehe I knew they where climbers as I researched ducks to get one that fit my needs.Mine so far have not climed any trees ,the hens do fly up ontop of the roof though.

7. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    My two Muscovy have taken to roosting in the main chicken coop. The hen will fly over the fences, but so far she has stayed off the roofs. The drake is a heavyweight. Getting up more than 4 feet is a real challenge for him. The first time I saw a Muscovy was at a far where I had to go through a gate. Sitting up on the gate was a humongous duck (Muscovy drake). Kind of freaked me out. [​IMG]

8. Duck Mad

Duck Mad Chirping

Mar 13, 2011
    Rugby
    Quote:Thats cheating if you researched about claws lol ... I got my Muscovy off the nearest place that had the youngest ducklings, as a friend for my other duck.. I never thought to check out stuff like claws! haha.. but she is a real sweetheart and wouldnt change for another [​IMG]

9. Duck Mad

Duck Mad Chirping

Mar 13, 2011
    Rugby
    Quote:[​IMG]I just laughed real loud at the bit ... humongous duck fread u out! lmao ... I wanted some geese, but to noisey for neighbours close by, I am now pleased to realise my muscovy is going to be humongous!! [​IMG] shes still real fluffy, and biggger than my other ducks already! .... woohoooo more duck to cuddle up with [​IMG]

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Was the person holding the camera having a seizure!!! ACK! [​IMG] I was starting to get dizzy trying to watch it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: