Muscovy and,,, what chicken breeds are the best option for hot weather ?

Cuates

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 25, 2012
We are newbys and we have some questions> We believe our coop will be ready around the end of January ,,it will be 8 X 10 with a 8 x 12 runner, and possible free running when ever they grow.

We have a little water chanel that I am sure the Muscovies will love (14' x 200') ,however we have not decided yet what it will be the best breed of chickens for this hot area,"Brownsville ,Texas"....Summer last 8-9 months, and the average temperture in those months is between 80 and 100. We are looking for good layers.

Thanks for the HELP
Cuates

Australorps were bred for the extremes of Australia. From what I understand they will lay in just about any weather, too. They hold the record for the most eggs in a year-364 eggs.

That sounds great ,good size ,pretty ,etc

Do you think they will have problems with the muscovies ?, They will grow together

Thanks a lot

Vicente

I have 3 muscovy hens and one muscovy drake in my layer pen with a variety of chickens. The ducks pretty much keep to themselves and don't bother the chickens. I think the key to this success is that there are enough female ducks for the one male. If a male doesn't have enough female ducks to mate he very often will mate the female chickens (drakes will mate anything lol) and can possibly hurt them. Just make sure you have enough female ducks and watch closely in case the drake tries anything with your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom