Muscovy Babies - Need advice

KimInKentucky

Hatching
Aug 28, 2022
We have a large pond, 4 females 1 male Muscovy (and 2 Pekin males that do their own thing)

1 female made her nest in a floating duck house (12)

2 made a double nest in a roosting hut inside a pen and sit on their eggs together (28 of them)

And 1 made her nest in a bush across the street. (13) She would come over daily to drink eat and bathe. I didn’t feed her over there for fear of predators.

Her babies hatched, and brought her and the babies to a large pen with a brood house. Auto water for her and babies, auto feeder with grits and feed for her, fresh bedding in the hut and brought her nest/feathers and put in there as well as a small pool for her (we have a ramp for babies for next week)

So here is the question- she won’t go in the hut, she will sit on them on the ground, so I put some bedding in there just in the open. All 13 are healthy and thriving, do I just keep feeding and watering? Do I let her out and let her take them to the pond? Will the drake hurt them? ( he has sat at the pen for 2 days)

I’ve tried to let Mother Nature sue what it does I just couldn’t leave them in the neighbors bush, she was fine with the eggs but had no desire to have 13 babies in her yard and there is no water source over there, momma would be crossing a busy road with her ducklings for water.

What would y’all do?

We have opened the lid on the hut so she can see daylight and know there is nothing in there unsafe. This morning she has finally stepped inside and I can hear her moving the bedding around so we are hopeful!
BFD62D1D-2620-4103-A1A1-D54D1D184046.jpeg

My Muscovy Drake years ago was great with the 8 babies that they had. Some Drakes are good and some are not. Some want to remate the Hen so they kill off the babies. Yours are so Precious!!!! Good luck with whatever you decide.

Back
Top Bottom