1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy Baby in need of HELP!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keakuki6, Sep 28, 2015.

1. keakuki6

keakuki6 New Egg

Jul 31, 2014
    So I have a dozen little Muscovy Ducklings and this one lil one developed a what seems to be a feather ball... He has has it for a little over a week and it doesn't seem to be growing or shrinking but he is now having problems walking and falls over. He doesn't keep his feet under him instead tries to push himself along with his legs out behind him. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Does it feel like it's full of air?

-Kathy

3. keakuki6

keakuki6 New Egg

Jul 31, 2014
    It doesn't feel like it's full of anything really it feels like just a clump of feathers... He won't use his legs to stand or walk... His feet stay all closed up... The clump came on a week or so ago n he seemed fine then a few days ago I noticed him walking wrong on the side the clump is on n yesterday I found him upside down n his head was back and his eyes were going crazy so I grabbed him n brought him in and tried to figure it out again well then he seemed fine again and I put him back w his buddies, when I went to let them out this morn I found him on his back just laying there like he couldn't get up and he wouldn't open his feet n I brought him in again n placed him upright on a towel and tried to get him to stand... He dropped forward and tried pushing himself on his belly. I took him back out and put him in his food dish and he started eating so I went and did a few things and came back and once again he was on his back... I took him to his water for a drink and then Kaye's him in his "bed" the vets around here don't do ducks and I am at a lose as to how to help him

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  5. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
  6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    On the outside chance these are two separate issues, I would get him on B vitamins right away - a tablespoon of brewer's yeast (not baking yeast) per cup of food, or B-Complex vitamins in his water. Use the amount of B3 (niacin) in the complex capsules as a dosage guide. 150mg B3 per gallon of drinking water.

Wondering if the lump is a feather cyst.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by