Muscovy baby question

neverbdone

Songster
14 Years
Dec 9, 2008
Lake Isabella, CA
I have a very dotting drake. Shoot he even pulls out his own breast down for my one female that is laying. I understand that he will XX off the babies when they hatch. He is so passive, but I don't want to take the chance of him killing the babies. Do I really need to put him in with the chickens? I don't think he'd kill a bug.

Supervise his first few visits w/momma Scovy & ducklings. If he is the only drake, he's the daddy & knows it. My Scovy drake, Jason, stayed w/the hens and ducklings but I did supervise and "cool" him down when he got a bit rambunctious. Once the ducklings are about 1-2 wks old they can usually get out of the way of an amorous drake after their mom.
roll.png
The drake being a "part of the family" can be a good thing. They will lead the way when foraging many times. My Jason breaks up fights btwn the growing ducklings. I had two young scovies fussing and fighting this a.m. and Jason went stomping over to them wagging his tail and hissing up a storm and told them to cool it in Scovy ...
lol.png
They did.
wink.png

A few days ago I was suprised to find 7 babies in the coop with the 2 mommies and 2 daddies, everyone was getting along very well and the daddies were even helping "protect" the babies...my drake, Sidney, sat with the brooding hens the whole time they were incubating those eggs.

Just keep an eye on them all to make sure he doesnt try anything.

Recently lily (My Female Blue Fawn Muscovy) has been disappearing, I followed her earlier this evening and realised shes managed to squeeze through a 4 inch wide opening under my neighbors porch. this is the third day that i've noticed her going missing and I know it takes them awhile to hatch but she was making a calling high pitch chirp (kinda like a cheeta calling her young) she usually says nothing at all. and she never disappears at night. I'm not sure how long they have been under there but its only been two weeks or so that shes been able to walk.. when I got her she was so malnurished she couldnt take a step without falling over.. I guess my question is how should she be acting? is her behavior normal? i didnt know she was going to her nest and i tried to steer her back home and she charged me which isnt like her at all.. just not sure its the best environment for ducklings no matter how defencive the parents. I also have seven cats and two dogs and ofcourse Rex (my male white muscovy that i got along with lily) , although i dont think he would hurt them he isnt the father off the eggs Gracen (blue fawn male) is. and gracen has been chacing him all through out the yard wont even let him eat. its just getting worse which makes me suspect that there might be something in that nest after all. I know all I can do is wait to be sure but It's worring me sick not knowing what to expect. any experience would probably be of help. only babies i ever dealt with were my pekins ( Grouchy, Courageous, and Mumble) which were mature by the time i let cats or anything anywhere near them. cause i raised them inside. so yeah any advice would be appreciated
2665.png
. thx.

Back
Top Bottom