Muscovy behavior question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tia Z., May 31, 2010.

1. Tia Z.

Tia Z. Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2009
    Chico
    So I got two muscovies after having a mallard. Are muscovies naturally lazy? I realize that they are big ducks with BIG feet but my ducks act like they are winded after walking across the yard. They are about 8 weeks old now. Is it normal for them to just plop down and spend most of the day relaxing? Just want to make sure I'm not missing any signs of sickness.

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

are they panting, laying on their sides, splaying out their wings? If not then I'd just say their being lazy. I havent had duckling muscovies before my pair I have I got them both as adults, but they tend to be lazy and lay about until I come out then they come a waddling or flying cause they expect their treats lol.

3. Tia Z.

Jun 23, 2009
    Chico
    Nope not doing any of that. The female is a bit smaller and little more active, the male just seems like he wants to lay down most of the day and occasionally waddle very slowly to eat and maybe take a dip int he pond. I guess I'm just used to my mallard who is all over the place!!

4. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I have three two month old muscovys and I've been thinking the same thing. They walk funny and low to the ground and they just waddle over like they have all day - I guess they do.

5. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i have a pair of scovies. the only time my drake ever really gets up is when i go outside cuz he loves his mommy. if my parents walk out, he sits down. they are lazy ducks. my female is also a bit more active than him, but not much. i just peeped out the window.. he's sleeping lol

6. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

They are meat birds and as such will conserve their energy to grow. Scovies usually are most active first thing in the a.m. and later in the pm foraging just before bedtime. If they don't get to free range to forage you may not see as much activity because, honestly, where should they go? My draklets esp. have a tendancy to "plop" down when it gets hot outside even though they are under the trees.

7. Tia Z.

Jun 23, 2009
    Chico
    OK good, I wont worry then. They are allowed to free range all day but still choose to hang out on the back deck gazing at their reflection in the sliding glass door [​IMG] They are very sweet, like gentle giants.

8. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

yes my adult muscovy are both quite lazy, the hen a little less so than the male, although the male takes flight trips about 1/2 mile to the big cow pond across the road every few days. he scared me this week, was gone for about 4 days till I spotted him flying back towards the pond this AM. he usually is only got 12-24 hrs but I guess he's looking for new duckies since his partner is in the neighbor's weenie dog's doghouse sitting on a dozen eggs. lmao I have to take a picture before she gets off them, its too funny duck and dog are best friends, dog (weenie is her name) sleeps with the duck in the dog box when she's not indoors. my magpie and welsh (i dont think they are welsh anymore but I still call them that XD ) they are always active and walking around scavanging greens and bugs.

9. LittleSquidgenHome

LittleSquidgenHome Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Michiana
    That is just the behavior of Muscovies. About the only time my male isnt laying down is when food is present, a rival male gets too close to his girls, or he feels "frisky". Other than that he is a lazy toad. My girls are a bit more active, but not by much.

10. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

My Muscovies are pretty active - But in slow motion! lol They get around the yard, and anytime I look they have gone off somewhere else, but they do so at a snail's pace, and they walk in a reptillian fashion with thier necks stretched out low and with and exaggerated waddle. Your muscovies sound normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by