Muscovy - Boy or Girl???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by laughingull, Dec 29, 2012.

1. laughingull

laughingull Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    California
    Ok Muscovy lovers - it would REALLY help us to know... Is our new little duckling really a girl? S/he was vent sexed as female "can't promise but nothing popped out" by an awesome bird vet. Now that we have her/im home we are still a bit worried. She/he has quite a long tail (looks a bit like a young peacock to us). The feet and legs seem big too - though we only have our runner duck and welsh harlequin for comparison. S/he has a bit of a pinkish area at the top of the beak (see pic). Her/is feathers (mostly in including wings with the last whisps of down vanishing - flight feathers about half way out of their sheaths but no flight yet) have a lovely purple/green sheen. As for noises - talks constantly, lots of chortling then cries like a baby when separated from our other ducks, but the part that makes us nervous is that s/he hisses, raises crest and tail wags often when threatened by our hens and other ducks. Also she/he is (as you can see) tiny compared to our other birds but is already pushing them around. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I can also try to take better pics of the feet (sorry the below pics arn't great). Sweet little thing and of course we are hoping girl (poor unwanted fellows).
    [​IMG]

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    From the size, I'd say female. Also the head shot looks more feminine. That is one long tail though. My females tail wag and raise their crests, thought I don't know that I've ever heard them hiss. Hmmm........

Are you sure that it is pure muscovy? I only ask since it is basically fully feathered, mine have always had more caruncles at that time.

1 person likes this.
  3. laughingull

Dec 7, 2010
    California
    Hello Jdywntr! Thank you for your response! It was a rescue, so we have no idea if it is pure muscovy or a mix. Fingers crossed that she is a she, and that she lays tasty eggs. We are worried that a male would be hard on our hens and much smaller ducks, thus we named Her/him "Soup" just in case (though honestly we have yet to eat any of our flock and likely would be too wimpy).

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    The face right now looks ducky, but since she/he is still holding on to some down maybe too early to day. sure has a sweet face though. My ducks are much more pushy with the chickens than my drakes are.

1 person likes this.
  5. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Looks like a lil Gal to me too. She sure is pretty! My girls raise their "mohawks" and wag their tails..I've always felt the tail wagging is a happy thing.

Michelle

1 person likes this.
  6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    The headshot looks so ducky BUT that tail is so long! i too wonder if it's pure? Perhaps, it's just the angle of the pic? Muscovy female most certainly tail wag and raise crests and they also hiss, ever deal with a broody? [​IMG]

I'll post this pic of the youngest of my flock, this is a trio of chocolates girls they were 2+mths at this time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. laughingull

Dec 7, 2010
    California
    Great! Glad to hear that the ducks are pushy cause this little one sure has a big attitude. Much thanks for your response.

8. laughingull

Dec 7, 2010
    California
    Hurray another vote for gal! The tail wagging is certainly endearing. Thanks Michelle!!!

9. laughingull

Dec 7, 2010
    California
    Hurray - you are the first to tell me that the females also hiss - that is a relief! Its not the angle of the pic - the tail really is that long, does that mean S/he is a mix? Your chocolate galls are beautiful!!! I didn't know muscovies came in so many colors.

10. laughingull

Dec 7, 2010
    California
    [​IMG]
    Here is a pic I got of Soup this morning if it is helpful (I realize none of my other pics really showed the feet). I do love the feather patterns - If she is a mix what would she likely be mixed with? Thank you to everyone for sharing your knowledge - I am new to ducks and am so excited to learn!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by