Muscovy Boys or girls? Both?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmerswifeony, Feb 12, 2013.

1. farmerswifeony

farmerswifeony Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    SWW
    Hi, We got these lovely fellas/gals this past august and I have no clue what color to paint thier rooms. [​IMG]. Can someone out there help me I have added a few pictures that were just taken yesterday.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG] Nice flock you have there! I only have Muscovy(well for now i ventured out and bought two buffs lol)

How old are the birds? and there are 7? in total?

anyways, going by picture #2 look like a drake( first duck on the right) and several ducks.

Pic #1 looks drake like to me but i admit to be waffling a touch with it, finally pic #3 both look like a ducks.

Muscovy drakes are BIG boys they outsize the ducks and have a differing set of vocals, they only hiss/huff past duckling stage, whereas the ducks trill, coo, chirp and quack plus they do hiss, usually a duck you can tuck under your arm, a drake? unlikely they are again big boys.

It's hard to tell with pics because perspectives can be hard to gauge that is why i gave you some things to look for.

A good shot to see, is this one a pair of my whites at 5mths Obviously drake to the right, duck to the left.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    You can go by size. They are old enough to tell by looking but pictures can be deceiving for us. Like GQ said, in the 2nd pic that huge one in front is a boy. Any others that are his size are male. If they are about 1/2 his size, they are girls. The first pic I'd lean toward girl but the angle is hard and nobody for comparison. The 2 chocolates look female, whoever's white tushy is in the pic with them is a boy but not a muscovy. [​IMG]

Keep in mind that a non-muscovy will breed with a muscovy but will produce sterile offspring.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    The first is bugging me as i said, the leg looks short(which leans towards duck) but from this angle the foot looks big(which leads to drake) plunk it beside the drake in the second pic! that'll tell you![​IMG]

5. farmerswifeony

Apr 11, 2012
    SWW
    Thank you all so much. I had read that you could tell simply by size, but I really wanted to be sure. The one on the top must be a drake. He is my largest Muscovy. The white tailed toosh is my Ham of a Pekin duke. He loves to be in the middle of everything. He wife daisy is much more shy. The brown muscovy in the bottom picture toward the top of the photo is my second largest then the black and white breated on in the middle. The others are all about half of their size. So i am taking from this I have 3 boys and 4 girls. They are 6 months of age. I thought that we would see some mounting going on or something to give us a clue but none of goes on with the muscovys.Only with the pekin. I just baught a little brown duck that someone cutt the tail off of. I am so confussed as to why anyone would do this. I don't know what she is but she was all alone and looked like she wanted friends. Im am such a sucker. [​IMG] Well again thank you all and here are a couple more pictures.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Making new friends

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Nice looking ducks. The brown looks like a runner or runner mix. Without the tail curl, you may have to base the sex on voice. If it quacks, girl if not boy. They are just getting to the age when they will start to mate and muscovy are VERY clumsy at first.

You will want to be careful that you don't have too many drakes. If you have mentioned all of your ducks, then you've got 4 males 5 females and 1 ?. Which is far to many. You may need to rehome or seperate all but 1 of them.

7. farmerswifeony

Apr 11, 2012
    SWW
    Thank you, yes This is why we were needing to find out whom was who in our little petting zoo. It is time for the big boys to find new homes as sad as it will make me to see them leave they are all so lovey. I will keep one muscovy pair and the pekins stay as well the others will all be rehomed. Should I keep one hen or two? Will they mate with whom ever is around or are muscovys paticular about their gals?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by