Muscovy Breeding Questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DarkWingDuck, Apr 4, 2009.

1. DarkWingDuck

DarkWingDuck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Meville
    Since the 3 escaped muscovy hens have settled on my pond and I have 2 in a pen, I have to rotate the drake between the two locations for them all to breed. For how long can a muscovy hen produce fertile eggs from one breeding?

Also, my drake seems to be a meat production strain -- solid white and easily twice the size of the hens. Is it likely he'll be able to produce viable offspring without hatching issues?

Lastly, what is the most attractive nesting site for a muscovy?

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Just because he is white doesn't mean he was from a meat strain we ued to buy whites for egg production and the color bred true. True white birds are perfered for meat production because they dress out better looking. Drakes are usually huge in comparision to ducks. A visit every week should keep fertile eggs going. Muscovy have there own ideals for nesting sites, generallly they like a little privacy, they like overhead cover to protect the eggs and the mama while setting and since they set in hot weather they want shade with some breeze. We used to scatter a bunch of apple crates on there long side with something on the top for shade. I have also seen them dig a nest out of the side of a hay or straw bale. In the wild they like to nest in cavities of hollow trees.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    It is normal for the drake to be that huge. My girls are around six pounds while Pumpkin weighs in at around 10 pounds.

4. DarkWingDuck

Apr 1, 2009
    Meville
    Cool, thanks for the answers. Right now, I'm just worried about the drake himself. The free-flying hens only stay at my pond so long as he is out there. Since they can't fly, how well do drakes generally survive predators? The common ones in my area are raccoons, oppossum and (though less common) foxes.

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Can't fly at all? My drakes didn't fly much but they could get that big(15#) body 5-6 feet off the ground when they wanted to roost each night. I have security cam footage of one roosting on a branch while a fox was on the ground trying to get to him. And if the drake can get into the pond if needed he only has to fear Owls Hawks and snapper turtles.

6. DarkWingDuck

Apr 1, 2009
    Meville
    I've yet to see this particular drake do any flying. Maybe he isn't scared enough of humans to bother.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by