muscovy burrying eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by afchicken, Apr 11, 2012.

1. afchicken

afchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    i have a trio of muscoveys and the hens have 2 seperate nest where they are burrying the eggs (and some chicken eggs)....
    dos this mean they are about to try and brood and should i take the chicken eggs out?

2. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    Sounds like they are about to brood. They will probably hatch and raise the chicks... You only have to remove the chicken eggs if you don't want baby chickens.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  3. afchicken

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    ok just diddnt know if the chicks would hatch sooner then the ducklings and couse her to leave the nest

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    The chicks will hatch in 21 days the ducklings because they are Muscovy, will hatch in 35, not a good combo

5. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree w/Miss Lydia plus any chicken eggs inadvertently mixed into my Muscovy hens clutch that hatched out were killed by her. [​IMG]
    I don't mean to say that all Scovy hens do so but mine did. I guess my Charlotte could tell that the chick wasn't a duck or possibly that it was too early so something was wrong. She didn't have a problem w/other duck breed eggs added later... like Calls.

6. afchicken

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    thats what i thought didnt know how many days on the ducks as this will be 1st batch but i knew muscovey took longer to hatch then chickens thank you

7. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    I never knew! Well, I knew the eggs would hatch at different times, but I didn't think the duck would care. Guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by