Muscovy caruncles...red or black...(added pics)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by critters, Oct 11, 2011.

1. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

out of my 10 muscovy ducklings, it appears that 2 may have 'black' caruncles with the others having
    red caruncles that we usally see. I read an earlier post regarding the caruncles but wonder what
    ya'll think.....is the black caruncle's ok??? 1 looks like they will be all black and another looks like
    it will be mostly black with a touch of red....it really doesn't matter to me as they are all my babies
    anyway but was just wondering...wanting to be sure the ducklings are ok...healthy since caruncles
    are black...that it is not a health issuse but genetics.....
    they are 7 weeks old and I will try to get a pic soon....what do ya'll think?? black ok??

added pics...two posts from here...........

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:They would only be "not ok" if you decided to show, and the standard called for red. But remember, show standards are just the personal preferences of the people who wrote them. There is nothing wrong with black caruncles if you have no desire to show your muscovies.

[​IMG]

3. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

here's a pic of the babies...

[​IMG]
    this cutie appears to have 'black' caruncles forming [​IMG] I think it will look good on him/her!

[​IMG]
    and even thou this little fella had been playing in his mud hole I think you can still see that
    his/her caruncles are black with some pinkish coloring in the center of bill
    [​IMG] ....they love the water and mud holes!!...what do ya do? [​IMG]

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I think someone was saying the black caruncles are original, but don't quote me. Either way I like them.

5. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    The gypsy markings or black are not allowed in shows. I don't know why, the wild ones have it and thats the true muscovy

6. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    Quote:personally i think they are too young to tell the colour of caruncles. quite often the bill colour will spill out onto the start of the caruncle. you have atleast 4 or 5 month wait to tell the color.

when they are at this stage its handy to see colour on the caruncles, for example i have some white looking ducklings here that have bronze/sepia colouring on the caruncle, this gives me hope that they are not white but fume or tortora.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  7. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    one of my muscovy drakes is going to have red and black caruncles. I am almost 100% sure. they are about 4 months old. Its not that noticable in this pic but they are growing.
    [​IMG]

8. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I agree they dont' always look like what they will be. Muscovy are a funny bunch and until they are about a year, I don't even try and speculate what the end bird will be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by