Muscovy clutches not hatching

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cjeanblue, Dec 11, 2013.

1. cjeanblue

cjeanblue Hatching

Dec 11, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Our muscovy ducks are about 4 1/2 years old - we have had 4 clutches successfully hatch - usually let her sit on 1 or 2 a year. But this past year she has sat on 3 different clutches - and no babies - just rotten eggs. Has anyone else had this happen? Any insights? Thank you...

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

And your drake is healthy? I have had mine sit where almost all eggs weren't good but 1 which isn't good either .I don't know the answers unless it's true what they are saying about the feed being loaded with GMO grains and it is causing sterility.[​IMG]

3. cjeanblue

cjeanblue Hatching

Dec 11, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    thank you - we think the drake is healthy - not sure if he is too 'old' etc. We do feed them organic non-GMO feed ;)

4. Miss Lydia

Hard to say then I'm not sure how long a Scovy drake is at his best on fertility. or duck for that matter.

5. CMP1999

CMP1999 In the Brooder

Nov 27, 2013
    Tularosa new mexico
    a drake is good for 3 to 5 years and if he is a giant thair is a chance he cant get on the female and the female may be leaving the nest at night the ducks are more active at night
    i have 26 of the muscovy ducks here

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  6. Miss Lydia

Thanks for info and [​IMG]

7. cjeanblue

cjeanblue Hatching

Dec 11, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    he might be nearing the end of his 'daddy duck' days then - but keep up being the barnyard entertainment!

8. CMP1999

CMP1999 In the Brooder

Nov 27, 2013
    Tularosa new mexico
    Thanks for the welcome and i know a lady in town that still has two 8 year old males they cant breed but they are her entertainment

9. cjeanblue

cjeanblue Hatching

Dec 11, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    yes - he used to be quite bossy but has mellowed - the lady duck is quite feminine - we have hens also - and really do enjoy them!

10. CMP1999

CMP1999 In the Brooder

Nov 27, 2013
    Tularosa new mexico
    i have 22 +hens and started with 150 and sold alot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by