Muscovy Color and sex question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jamband, Jul 25, 2011.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I have 3 muscovies I believe that 2 are males but want to be sure. they are 9 weeks old

What would there colors be considered?

Also if I am right about sex I will be getting 3 more ladies. what would good color choices be for breeding with my males? I prefer colors to all white since they will free range. Any rare colors I could breed? The folks I am getting them from have many colors available.

Thanks here are the pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I am new to muscovies, but I'll let you know what I think based on the few that I have!
    It looks to me like the light brown one is a female. From the pictures, it looks smaller than the other two. I'm not sure what color she would be considered. I have one just like her, so I am curious to see what other people leave for comments! She is definitely barred though.
    The one with a lot of white looks like a drake, he seems much larger. I also have one like that. I believe it is a blue and white pied, but again I am curious to see what other people comment.
    The black one is hard to tell in the pictures. I would say female because it looks smaller than the blue/white one, but it is hard to be sure. Mine are all at this stage right now, and there are a few like your black one that seem to be in the middle size-wise. So I'm not 100% what gender that one is. It looks like it is barred as well, but I'm not sure if it is called black or not. I have one with feathering that is similar in color, and looks green when in the sun.

3. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    thats exactly how i feel on the sexing. the one is much smaller and the blue is very big. The black one seems closer to the big one than the little one though?? Its legs are much taller as well? Thanks, hope someone can help clarify.

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    The blue pied is a drake. The brown one is a chocolate ripple (I think that's what it's called) hen. The black looks like it'll either be a black pied or a black ripple and I'm leaning toward hen on it but not sure.

5. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    the black one seems slightly less stout but is just about as tall as the blue one. thats the big question I guess.

is rippled different from barred?

6. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Yes, rippled and barred are very different.
    Check out this website, it has helped me a lot in trying to decide exactly what colors I have in my own flock!

Yours looks a lot like the 5th one down, which is a chocolate barred.
    http://www.muscovyduckcentral.com/varieties.html

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:Thanks for the site - it was helpful to me as well so I bookmarked it.

8. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    oh yeah I love that site. Just forgot they had coloring info on there. Anyone else with sex guesses?

Thanks

9. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Black Pied or Barred - Male
    Blue Pied - Male
    Chocolate Barred or Ripple - Female

I find it is easier to look and compare their tails since muscovy males have HUGE tails compared to females.

10. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by