Muscovy color Question

kuecker1

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 28, 2010
Iowa
I am wondering if I breed black to silver what color offspring I will get. I hatched out 4 silver drakes and 1 hen this fall and I don't want to breed them together because they are siblings. I have a black drake that is unrelated to the silver hen so i was wondering if I would still get silver babies from breeding black to silver. I also have an unrelated blue hen that I could put with a silver drake if that would through silvers also. Any help with the colors would be great.

I also have two buff hens that I want to try and get buffs out of but don't know what color drake to use on them.

Here is a picture of one of my silver drakes. He was hatched in October
IMG_4229.jpg

Here is his sister
IMG_4230.jpg

Here is a picture of a lilac drake
IMG_4240.jpg

Here is a picture of one of my buff hens
IMG_4244.jpg

If I am wrong with any of these colors please let me know.

Beautiful scovies you have there! Assuming there is no genes hiding in them, Black X Silver will produce Blues. The Blue hen put with the Silver drake will produce about half Blues and half Silvers(again assuming there are no other gene factors involved).
If you have the Lilac drake, I would put him with the Buff hens, probably your best bet to get more Buff from them(also more Lilac).
Good luck with them, post some pic when the ducklings get here.

There isn't really anything bad about inbreeding with animals. True genetic problems from inbreeding animals are very rare. My flock of muscovies free range all together 24/7, and any of my 4 drakes - three of which are related - can breed any of my hens any time. Some of them are the drake's daughters, sisters, mothers - or they may not be related at all. I just make sure to buy new birds from out side sources at least every couple years. I especially change drakes a LOT.
smile.png

But yes, assuming no hidden genes, black x silver will result in blue babies.

I want buff muscovies... SO jealous.
smile.png
Very pretty birds you have!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info everyone. Hopefully I will have some neat colored ducklings this spring.

Back
Top Bottom