Muscovy color Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kuecker1, Jan 31, 2011.

1. kuecker1

kuecker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    Iowa
    I am wondering if I breed black to silver what color offspring I will get. I hatched out 4 silver drakes and 1 hen this fall and I don't want to breed them together because they are siblings. I have a black drake that is unrelated to the silver hen so i was wondering if I would still get silver babies from breeding black to silver. I also have an unrelated blue hen that I could put with a silver drake if that would through silvers also. Any help with the colors would be great.

I also have two buff hens that I want to try and get buffs out of but don't know what color drake to use on them.

Here is a picture of one of my silver drakes. He was hatched in October
    [​IMG]

Here is his sister
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of a lilac drake
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of one of my buff hens
    [​IMG]

If I am wrong with any of these colors please let me know.

2. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Beautiful scovies you have there! Assuming there is no genes hiding in them, Black X Silver will produce Blues. The Blue hen put with the Silver drake will produce about half Blues and half Silvers(again assuming there are no other gene factors involved).
    If you have the Lilac drake, I would put him with the Buff hens, probably your best bet to get more Buff from them(also more Lilac).
    Good luck with them, post some pic when the ducklings get here.

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

[​IMG] I hope the Silvers I am going to look at are as nicely colored as that hen of yours [​IMG]

I may input later today about the breeding question but I have to go now & swheat pretty-much covered it.

4. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    There isn't really anything bad about inbreeding with animals. True genetic problems from inbreeding animals are very rare. My flock of muscovies free range all together 24/7, and any of my 4 drakes - three of which are related - can breed any of my hens any time. Some of them are the drake's daughters, sisters, mothers - or they may not be related at all. I just make sure to buy new birds from out side sources at least every couple years. I especially change drakes a LOT. [​IMG]

But yes, assuming no hidden genes, black x silver will result in blue babies.

I want buff muscovies... SO jealous. [​IMG] Very pretty birds you have!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  5. kuecker1

kuecker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    Iowa
    Thanks for the info everyone. Hopefully I will have some neat colored ducklings this spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by