Muscovy color question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Sep 15, 2011.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Well, nobody showed any interest in answering my boy/girl thread [​IMG] so...
    Another question:
    Will female Muscovy have any greenish tinting on their feathers?
    One of my female runners did have some green tint on her wings, I'm just wondering if that may be a way to tell muscoby male from female.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    This is my first year with Muscovy but I am not new to ducks.

I did not see your male/female question on Muscovy so I can't help with that. And you may not have gotten any answers if you did not show photos or if the age was too young. Muscovy have been difficult to figure out males from females for me except for the adults, of course. My babies and juvies are still puzzling me but the ones that have grown up I have been able to tell.

I had one "expert" come over and see mine in one pen and say they were all males because they raised the feathers on their heads and necks. Wrong! Those turned out to be all girls. Or else those boys are laying some nice eggs. [​IMG]

And coloring has nothing to do with male/female Muscovy. Greenish colored feathers mean they have pretty feathers, nothing more. [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:yep my girls have that beautiful irredescent green on their wings..

4. DuckWrangler16

DuckWrangler16 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    Ive got Males and Females that have green tints in their wings. If you have a drake he will get bigger alot faster. The hen should be only 2/3 the size after 3 weeks. Also the drake will also not feather as fast as the hens.

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I have one black female- she is really green in the sunlight. And like the others said- 2/3 the size of the young boy I just got.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks everyone. I'm thinking that I have ended up with 4 boys and 1 girl. [​IMG] My smallest seems to have doubled in size overnight. Oh well.

7. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    [​IMG] I hope that isn't so. [​IMG]

8. Texasmja

Texasmja Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    I bought 3 baby Muscovy ducks, they are about 2-3 months old now I am guessing here. I have read this thread and I either have all girls or all boys....they are all the same size and all feathered out together...so I have no idea. This is the first time I have had this breed and they are pets. I just love their personalities. One has lighter eyes, one has one white feather in his/her tail, two have white across the back of the neck/shoulder area...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:They are beautiful and look like drakes to me.

10. Texasmja

Texasmja Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    Okay here are some pictures from today of the three, not sure what color they are called or what sex they are, they are all the same age, about 3-4 months old...They follow me every where so it is very hard to get a decent picture, lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by