muscovy coop questions....sq ft etc.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jamband, Jul 23, 2011.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I am building a pallet coop for my 6 muscovies and want to be sure o a few things before starting it.. It will only be a night coop and they will free range all day.

Questions are..
    1...sq footage? I have read 3 is ok for night housing? was planning on 4. If i have nest boxes on the floor can i count that as sq footage still since they will sleep in there likely?

2...is dirt/grass floor ok as long as I ad bedding? was planning on the deep litter method for them

3 one nest per female right?

4 do they like a roost?

5 door size for adults? I think my one male is gonna be a big one.

thanks all

2. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    anyone?

3. njduck

njduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    they sleep on the ground. I think you are going to be highly disappointed with the next boxes. Mine do not nest within 3 or 4 foot of another. usually only 1 or 2 will nest in 12x16 ft shed they have. the others nest all over the place. so if you are planning on breeding more then 2 hens figure a bigger area for them to nest.

4. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    I am planning on just letting them do there thing as far as breeding. So they want lost of privacy....even if they have a covered nest they wont nest close?
    thanks

5. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    Hello! I love Muscovy. They are by far my favorite duck.

In all the years that I have had them they have been free range, but if I were to pen them, I would put a trio in a run that was 4'x8' or larger.

Traditionally, these are tree roosting fowl, but I clip the wings she they tend to stay grounded.

6. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    ^^^

mine will be free range...just cooping them at night for safety

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by