1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy day old sex link chocolate.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kilby, Sep 26, 2015.

1. kilby

kilby Chillin' With My Peeps

The Q would be if a duckling at hatch has chocolate head and wings and darker body is it a sex link drakelet for sure or is that for later days?
    Thank you for your replies.

2. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012

Can you post a picture? Is it possibly a dusky, not a chocolate?

-Kathy

3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    The only way you will have se-linked muscovies is if you bred a chocolate drake with black hens. Then the offspring will be sex-linked chocolate females and black males.

What you are describing simply means that it is a color carrier. If not solid black as a duckling, then it's not a pure black. It doesn't mean its a male

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    So chocolate male to black female means that all chocolate ducklings will be female and all black ducklings will be male? Will those black males be carrying chocolate?

-Kathy

5. learycow

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    yes and yes :)

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

7. learycow

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    No. Females are either chocolate or black, can't be carriers. So if bred to a black male you'll only get black ducklings.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

9. learycow

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    This is the thing with muscovies. They are carriers and can carry multiple color genes.
    When I first started breeding them 8 years ago I had a trio of black and whites. They produced black, white, chocolate, lavender, buff, and blues! I sure was surprised!
    So the chocolate sex-linking only works if they are pure colors (typically). So your black to black will give you chocolates if they are carriers, but gender can't be determined unless you know that your drake is the chocolate carrier.

I bred black barred hens with a chocolate barred drake this year. I know that they were ALL multiple color carriers. However, the sex-linking worked. Every single female that hatched was chocolate barred and the males were all black barred and blues

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    What do you know about the dusky gene?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by