Muscovy drake around the ducklings ??

chicken5

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 25, 2010
IL
Two of my muscovies recently hatched their ducklings. My ducks are free-range 24/7. Do I need to worry about the drake, Big Earl, bothering the ducklings? So far, I haven't seen him messing with them. But, it has only been a few days. As far as I can tell, the mothers aren't even going in the house at night. They are staying out by the pond, under the picnic table. I just hate to think of caging the ducks, but not sure if I should or not....I have also read that I should take the ducklings from the mother, and pen them up. I was hoping to let the mothers raise the ducklings. Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas !!

i would keep those ducklings away from the drake and keep them where he can NOT get to them. it's dangerous. most drakes have no part in parenting and will kill ducklings. i would make a brooder for them with a heat bulb so they stay warm, especially if mom ducks aren't around at night.

I keep my drake, Jason, with the hen Scovies and ducklings. BUT I did supervise at the beginning, well still do, and Jason does try to breed the girls when they first come out w/ducklings..... which I stopped/stop. Once the ducklings are a few weeks old then it seems they do really well around the drake. I find that I still have to get after Jason once in a while if he is in a "mood" and is acting rather aggressive. It usually only takes a minute plus I have noticed that some of the top hens are really good at watching those ducklings and will get after him if they think he's being a bit rough. I do lock up all my Scovies though, at night, to keep them safe fm predators. I've heard too many horror stories about loosing all the ducklings to racoons, foxes and coyotes & we do have a problem here with coons & foxes. Those ducklings are pretty helpless at this point and the adults can only do so much to keep those babies safe. It's going to be a while before they can fly out of dangers way. It's your call, but I'd round them all up and pen them in for the night for safety & let them free range during the day. You have the chance of fewer loses that way.

Back
Top Bottom