1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy Drake has sore foot

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Eli1977, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Eli1977

Eli1977 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2016
    I got 3 muscovy ducks. One Drake and two girls. Ever since our neighbor had caught them to give them to us the Drake is limping. Our neighbor has held him by his feet like a chicken. I thought he hurt him, but we kept them in their coop for a week to get them aquaint them with their new home and once we let them out he was up and about. He still limped a little but did very well. He likes to sleep in our oak tree so he obviously flied well too. Tonight I went to put them up, because it's going to be bellow freezing at night and the poor chap can't walk on one foot and has even difficulty flying. Girls are ok and fly really good but he just jumps and is very obviously in pain. I locked them in their coop and am wondering what to do. They are very big birds and their claws are very sharp I have no way of catching him until Saturday which is 3 days away. What can I do??? Will he die? I am so confused. My roo doesn't like the Drake so I thought maybe he hurt him but our roo doesn't have spurs yet and I don't think he would peck him that bad even if he did attack him. Help.....

2. Eli1977

Jun 20, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Im sorry im not much help. But it would be helpful if you could get a photo of his foot and leg. And the top and bottom of his foot.
    I would search bumblefoot on this forum and see if maybe thats what he has.
    If he is enclosed in the coop it shouldnt be too hard to catch him. Maybe wrap a towel around him.
    I wouldnt wait till sunday if it was me i would try to get a good look sooner rather than later.

1 person likes this.
  4. ibarrett

ibarrett Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Hi, I doubt the duck will die within 2-3 days. His foot is probably hurt, so try to catch him whenever you can & wrap him in a towel. Then, you should be able to keep his wings from flailing with the towel and take a look at his feet. If you arent familiar with identifying breaks, sprains, bumblefoot, or other injuries/infections, take a picture and upload it there. But nobody will be able to identify what's wrong without a picture of his feet or legs.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    I dont think it will die either..... but if something is wrong best to identify and start treating sooner rather than later to prevent an infection from getting worse.
    Some will die within a few days if an infections is bad enough.

1 person likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Worse possible thing anyone can do is hold their ducks by their feet upside down. Ducks legs are not real strong to begin with.

I hope you have looked your drake over real good for any visual injuries @Eli1977
    And yes a pic would be a very good idea.

Keep him from being able to over use his leg for now rest is one way to help in healing.

1 person likes this.
  7. Eli1977

Jun 20, 2016
    Hi guys so poor Drake is just sitting about in his coop. I had to lock the girls there with him. He keeps his leg parallel to his body and hardly ever moves. Even to drink. Husband said it's better to put him out of his misery. Poor thing I feel so bad. Neighbor said he will give us another Drake he is trying to get rid of them, but I will be sure to tell him to not hold them by their feet. Thank you all for your support. I was really excited to start a little duck family but I guess that's life.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like maybe a dislocation

I am very sorry this happened and your first experience with ducks. . Please pass on your info to your neighbor about the ducks legs so this never happens again.

9. ibarrett

ibarrett Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Sorry to hear he hasn't gotten any better. Please be sure to tell your neighbor not to hold them by their feet...

My condolences

10. Eli1977

Jun 20, 2016
    It's gotten worse. Hubby shot the Drake but one of the bullets has hit a rock and killed one of my ducks. Now we are down to one depressed duck. I am so angry and sad.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by