Muscovy drake injured

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mylesmuscovys, Aug 1, 2014.

1. mylesmuscovys

mylesmuscovys Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2014
    Dear muscovy lovers ,

I have a muscovy drake that has recently started to have trouble walking. He is not the Alfa drake so he gets chased around a lot, he used to run away fast from our other drake and now he just sits there and takes the pecking! When we are feeding the ducks he is the only one sitting down, and [​IMG][/IMG]he never used to. He lets me pick him up with not me struggle, he did not like being petted in the past but now it seems he has no cae in the world who pets him. Please help us, I think this duck is quietly suffering. Here are some pics of his foot.[​IMG]

2. mylesmuscovys

Jul 6, 2014
    UPDATE:

He is now completely unable to walk. Please can somebody help.

3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    I really want to help, but I'm not sure why he's acting this way. I really help someone with some advice can help. I'm sorry about your duck.

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I have just pm'd Amiga...asked her to look at your post..she has huge knowledge...wait for her response!

5. mylesmuscovys

Jul 6, 2014
    Thank you so much suzie!

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Looks like he may have bumblefoot, and his behavior indicates that he has an infection. A trip to the vet, if you can do it, would be good (if the vet is willing to work with ducks).

Aside from that and in the meantime anyway, here is what I would do.

Separate the duck from the others - give him a nice safe place with fresh food and water, a quiet place.

Apply Epsom salt compresses three times a day - let me know if you need more detail.

I would also follow the first compress with a few drops of clear iodine on the swollen parts of the foot. Here is what Haunted55 suggested on another thread:

"
    Anyways, with the pain, I would say the Duramycin-10 is a good idea and for the bumbles...I'm seeing 5 of them, possibly 6, right near your thumb in the 3rd picture. I use Decolorized Iodine. You can pick it up at WalMart for cheap and that bottle is going to last a long, long time. Let the duck swim in a tub or whatever of warm water, just deep enough for the feet to be up off the bottom. Let them play for 15 mins to a half hour, whatever you can do. You want the skin to soften and the pores to open with the heat. When done, dry them and the foot up and then apply the iodine to the swollen area, not just the top of the lump. You need to paint the whole lump, let it dry and then let the bird go. It's that simple. the iodine is going to go into the skin and start killing the infection immediatly. In a few days, 3,4, or even 5, when you go back to look, you should see brown or black scabs. Soak again, same way as above, peel the scab, see if there is any of the hard cheesy looking pus behind the scab that you can easily get out with tweezers. Once done, dry the foot and paint again with the iodine, dry it, I blow on their feet, they seem to like it and they just relax. Make sure you not only get the iodine inside the hole, but again all of the lump. You may have to do this 4-5 times with bad ones, less with the smaller ones. The whole trick to this is not try to rush the process. Soak, paint, dry and then wait. You do not have to do this everyday and really, could do harm that way. Let the iodine and the body work. At first you will see thick scabs coming off, with all kinds of stuff stuck to the back. This is good as the body is pushing the poisons out. At the end of treatment, the swelling is down and when the last scab comes off, there will be nothing but healed skin behind it.

Last thing...even though we want this to be over with, do not rush it. Using the iodine everyday can cause problems, it can build to toxic levels if used too often. Believe me, you will see better results waiting in between applications and not be risking using too much. Good luck!

. Or, I would follow each compress with a coating of triple antibiotic ointment without painkiller." end of quote

Amiga here:

I am not an antibiotic expert, but if I could not get a vet's help, I would get Duramycin 10 and mix it up and give it orally. One BYC reference I am aware of suggests "Duramycin-10 at 1/2 tbls. per gallon for 7-10 days."

----

Also, poultry vitamins especially the kind with probiotics - I would put that in his water once a week for a boost.
    And watch him, and give him some words of encouragement.

7. mylesmuscovys

Jul 6, 2014
    Thank you very much for replying to this post in so much detail. But can you please give me some more information on the Epsom salt compress.

8. mylesmuscovys

Jul 6, 2014
    I'm sorry but the duck died last night. We buried him this morning. Thank you everyone who tried to help .

RIP Donald
    [​IMG]

9. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I am so very sorry to hear he died...Amiga gave you such wonderful helpful knowledge, he was maybe ill for some time before he had the leg problems...it is so difficult to know what the problem may have been...I have had a Runner duck die that suddenly stopped walking...she had no sign of bumblefoot...I never did know what caused her death..she just seemed to give up...

Suzie[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by