Muscovy drake not feeling well

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by coonhoundmama87, Jan 27, 2012.

1. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    One of my younger muscovy drakes isn't looking too well, I'm not sure what to do for him. I don't think he's eatten in a few days. He's been out and about with the rest of the ducks but today I found him in the barn by himself. He's just kind of blah looking, stands around, head kinda tucked down, body straighter up than usual. I gave him some mash with warm water but he seems to have no interest in it. Anything else I could do for him? Thanks!

2. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Although diagnosing sickness 'over the phone' is unreliable, it sounds like a Sleepwalker's (Coccidiosis sp.) type sickness. It could be Staph infection; scovies with Staph will act like that (trust me, I know. I lost 12 scovies to Staph last year.) In either case, there are powdery medicinal mixes you can buy at the vets or the drug store. Usually, they are water soluble so you mix them with water and let the scovy drink it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    poor duck. It can be hard to figure out what is wrong. Maybe you could bring him into a bit of a warmer environment, like an attached garage or put out a heat lamp in the barn. Keep an eye out for any other symptoms. If there are any treats you know he really likes, try to offer them to see if he has any appetite. I hope other members will have some ideas, too.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's very hard to know, but could he have eaten something he shouldn't have? Hardware disease is not uncommom in ducks and geese. I keep a product callede Nutri drench on hand when one of mine looks off. It can be given straight into the mouth and is rapidly put to use. actually mine get it every third night in their fresh drinking water, I use ACV and Oxine ah the other 2 nights in their drinking water. I hope he starts to perk up, keep us updated on him please. Can you tell how his poo looks?
    also have you noticed the other ducks picking on him drakes in particular?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  5. coonhoundmama87

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Well he finally ate and drank. I think he was too scared before, he's not used to being that up close with me since they free range. He still doesn't look much better though. I have him in our shed in a cage by himself. I haven't noticed him being picked on too much. He's usually off by himself with a female or two. We have 4 drakes right now and 11 hens so usually their isn't too much fighting. Only thing I can figure is he ate something he shouldn't have. I'll be keeping an eye on him until he perks up. I'll be sure to keep updating. Usually my muscovies have no issues.

6. coonhoundmama87

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Well, sorry to say he didn't make it [​IMG] tried all I could but he wouldn't eat. Didn't look like he was pooping anything out either, if he did it was just water. Sucks but atleast I tried right?

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I so sorry to hear you lost him, he may have eaten something he shouldn't. But your right you did all you could. [​IMG]

8. coonhoundmama87

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Thanks, sometimes I guess you just can't prevent these problems when you free range. Won't make me stop though! Love watching all my muscovies enjoying our freakishly warm 50 degree day today! They probably think it's spring lol!

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hardware disease is another concern, My muscovies free range and thats always something I think about, but I have had them going on 9 years and so far thank goodness They have never had hardware disease even though I have found all kinds of nails screws and other things out when I have been walking around. But that could have been what brought your fellow down. You'll never know but to be able to enjoy them and to watch them enjoy life like they do makes it all worth while, even when we lose one once in a while. .

10. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Hardware disease (an odd name -- not even remotely a disease [​IMG]) is definately a concern; especcially the way our great-grandparents used the land as dumps. Last year we found a crowbar, a left sandal, several car-parts, and a full heavy-gauge chan when cultivating our gardens. Not to mention about 25 lbs. of glass shards -- shards that look like little juicy yummy bugs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by