muscovy drake or hen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by silkydragon, Nov 22, 2010.

1. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i cant make up my mind becouse i think the carbuncles should be bigger by now it bobs and sticks neck out me all the time dosnt quack loud and my 2 white pekin ducks dont like it much but my mallard girl likes it its like the mallard is a doughter and my 2white pekins i know are males are the overprotective dads(even though she is older)

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    How old is this duck? About how much does it weigh? Can you get any clearer pictures?

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

The pics came up HUGE & hard to see but.....It looks like a hen to me, with that much Caruncles is has to be at least 7 months(how old is it?) & at that age a drakelet should have more by now. It's legs don't look as thick as a drakes either. The face looks kinda feminine & the body would be bigger on a drake that age.

Is it laying yet? (eggs will feel waxxy)
    can you get a pic of it on the ground?

My other ducks never hung out with my Muscovies either, but thankfully i had a good sized flock of both so everyone had friends.

4. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Looks like a hen to me [​IMG]

5. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    Quote:its not very tame only time i get close to it is when im feeding chickensit gets lost in the feeding frenzy and i can pet it but besides that wont let me anywhere near it

6. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Looks like a hen to me. The shape and small caruncles

7. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Yes, I would say "hen." And BTW, both sexes do the funny head-bobbing dance. [​IMG]

8. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I agree hen. My scovy drakes legs and feet were huge early on and yours doesn't look that big.

9. conniesue27

conniesue27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    atwater ohio
    If it's making a hissing sound, I say Drake, hens seem to have a little chirpy sound they make, and are a LOT bigger!![​IMG]

10. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm thinking female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by