Muscovy Drake Question...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jen4, May 6, 2011.

1. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    I have 2 broody hens, they have 17-18 eggs between them due to hatch somewheres around May 11, 1 is under our shed the other is in a next box in the chicken coop.

Question: Will the drake know when hatch day is gettin close & sit by the broodies on their nest? Tonight while hangin out with the animals I noticed one of my drakes by my broody duck hen in the coop and was just wondering if he knew & was stayin close? I havent noticed him doing this before.

2. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I dont know. I have kept my drake away from my girls.
    Mama Muscovy hatched out babies- and when she brought them off the nest, he started doing his mating dance- and she ran from him, and he really ignored the babies but kept following her around. I was afraid he would step on the babies- and Mama Muscovy really didnt want him to bother her.

Good luck on your hatch- and your drakes behavior!

3. the duck whisperer

the duck whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:The drakes do not care much for the babies so he will probably not stay close to mama. To be honest I don't think the drakes care about anything that has to do with them from my expiriences, they arent like ganders. He may have just been napping by his mate. Good luck

Jem

4. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Alrighty... Thanks Guys [​IMG]

5. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:2x. Muscovy drakes only care about not being lonely and breeding. Many have been known to kill babies but it's on an individual personality basis.

6. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Thanks... I'm gonna try to keep my drakes away from my duck hens & their babies the best I can.

7. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I have noticed my drake going to where I have three broody hens, and checking in on them. He makes noise and wags his tail. ( I love thy about them) . He does that several times a day. Like he is checking in on them.
    So from what I have seen at least with him he's keeping a eye on them and is staying near by. I know the eggs should be close to hatching maybe 5-7 days off.

Even hubby commented on him checking in.

8. brahmapapa

brahmapapa Chillin' With My Peeps

I never let my muscovy drake near my ducks while brooding or for a couple of weeks after the hatch. I had a massive white drake who ate every single duckling one after another...18 total....as soon as the mom took them out of the nest to show them off. I was across the yard, about 300 ft away when i saw him start and by the time i got to him he was swallowing the last one.[​IMG]

9. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Oooo my... I do not want my ducklings ate!

10. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Quote:if he is anything like mine- he just wants to mate with the female and wants her to hurry up and get off the nest.
    Watching my drake, I have decided that I am not happy with his hormone-driven, 'one thing on his mind at all times' attitude, and I have decided to rehome him. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by