1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pauleberly, Jan 16, 2017.

1. pauleberly

pauleberly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    I have a flock of 10 chickens (hens) and 3 muscovy (2 hens 1 drake)

My red sexlink has always been the boss. The drake never stood up to her, they quite frankly they were bullied.

Yesterday, I saw my drake and sexlink fighting and the drake has finally realized he is the boss. All the the chickens have came through and no longer pick on him, or the other female ducks.

Well right after this fight, he went and had himself a victory mating session. Now he has been mating nonstop with the two females.

So my questions are
    1. Should I be expecting duck eggs soon? (They are approximately 7-8 months old)
    2. Will the chickens accept my drake as the alpha
    3. Will my drake try and mate with my chickens?

Thanks for all the help

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

My answers:
    1. Maybe. Muscovy are seasonal layers - I'm in KY and I don't expect mine to start laying again until spring.
    2. I'm not sure they view him the way that they would a rooster, but they probably won't bully him anymore.
    3. Other duck keepers have reported that this is possible - I have more than 20 Muscovy that free range with a chicken flock of about the same size and I've never seen a drake try to breed a hen. 3-4 ducks per drake is the general recommendation.

Tagging fellow Muscovy keepers @Miss Lydia and @oldhenlikesdogs for their input.

3. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    Ok, I'm in TN so they probably won't lay till April at the earliest. I was hoping I wasn't going to have to make accommodation for ducklings yet lol

Now will my chickens pick on ducklings? Or will the drake defend the ducklings as well?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    The drake will not defend the ducklings and mama duck may not be able to. Chickens can be hateful to ducklings so what I do when I have mamas and ducklings they get to have their own space where all the rest of the flock including dear old dad can see them but they get time to grow some and be able to keep away from a mean hen or a drake who may not take to the kids. Drakes have been known to kill ducklings too. I usually keep separated for a couple weeks. I am in Western NC and usually my Muscovy's are around 8-9 months old before breeding and laying begins. If your seeing breeding and it's as warm there as it is here high 50's we may see eggs earlier this year. No breeding from My Muscovy's yet.

My drake has 4 females and he has never tried to mate with a hen[chicken]

1 person likes this.
  5. slkyldy4evr

slkyldy4evr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    If he does try to make with the chickens, he could kill them so be careful!

1 person likes this.
  6. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I Am assuming it is mating, i did provide pictures for reference.

It has been high 50s and low 60s a lot this week. I didn't know if that was supposed to trigger some sort of "it's spring" response.

My drake has not been aggressive with any of the animals of yet. I was hoping he will be the calm and collective sort of alpha

I think In the spring I will build a seperate duck pen , but I'm worried that my current ducks will not take to it since they are already accumulated to the sharing the chicken pen

7. slkyldy4evr

slkyldy4evr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    That is mating for sure.
    And they should be fine if the ducks already separate themselves from the chickens

8. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Ditto what others have said.

My chickens boss the ducks around.

I would recommend you get more female Muscovies for your drake. That way he will have plenty to keep him busy and not get interested in your chickens. Chickens are not built internally like ducks and a drake will kill one if trying to mate it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by