Muscovy drakes or not?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by conny63malies, Jul 7, 2008.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Those three are hatched 4/27-28. I am still unsure of their sex. Anybody dare to take a guess?

[​IMG]

close up

[​IMG]

Oh and what is their color called?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  2. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I vent sex my Muscovies these days. It's tons easier than guessing. Vent sexing isn't too hard. If you can vent sex a rabbit you can sex a Muscovy - especially at that age. Flip them upside down and hold the shoulders between your legs while you sit down. Bend the tail back away from you to expose the vent and massage it upward. If it's a male then you'll see a white/clearish penis that sides out of the red vent.

When you're starting out what you'll really be doing is marking your ducklings as 100% males and "could be females" [​IMG].

The color is called blue. When there is white on the body it is called pied. So you have blue pied. There -might- be a bib variety for Muscovies, but I doubt it.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Looks like 3 boys. Do they have huge feet? I see the middle duck's feet a bit and they look huge. OF course a pic is subjective, so they could be all girls, too.

Do they weigh about 6 to 7 pounds or 3 to 4 pounds?
    Scovy boys will start outgrowing the girls fast starting about 3 to 4 weeks.

4. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    They were 4 pounds about twoo weeks ago. Havent put them on the scale lately. Ill take my bathroom scale outside and check. here is a pic where you can see the whole foot.

[​IMG]
    In the case of three boys , the one whos standing will be kept, the two others go on the table. I got 14 eggs in the bator and hope for some females.
    ETA :
    Okay i just ran outside with my scale and according to my Taylor body scale they weigh all between 6-7pounds at about 10-11 weeks of age..

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    They are boys.

6. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    My Muscovies were born around 5-27 I think. I have two black phase. They look smaller than the others and I was curious if it's possible the genetic differences mean they will be smaller or if that is a good sign they are female.
    Do they pair up or is more than one drake a waste? Will the Drakes fight they roosters do if I end up with more than one?

7. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    I aplogize Terrilacy if I am making a pest out of myself [​IMG] I am desperate to see my duck eggs hatch. I was told you were the duck expert [​IMG] I have sent you messages and I will send no more after this I don't want to be a pest [​IMG] thank you

Quote:

8. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:My ducks so far get along fine, but then of course they are together since hatch and with me a week after and they are all the same sex. I'll keep one and put him together with 2-3 females. Do you know how much your weigh right now? Mine were a month ago about 3.5-4pounds. There are strains that stay smaller and i heard of a australian line were the males get up to 20 pounds.

9. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    I am not sure how big they are, but most of them are already bigger than my chickens. I have EE's and Ideal White leghorns that are kinda small. These are all bigger except maybe for the black phase which seem smaller.
    I would guess 3-4 lbs maybe but I am not an experienced guesser.

10. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Conny they look like males to me too! If you would like to come and compare you are more than welcome. PM me and we can set something up! Most of mine are the same colors as your are. I have a few that are black and white, most are that faded black color!!!
    I wish some would have been the tan color like one of my hens!

We are home most nights, and the kids can see the goats too!

How are the chickens doing?
    It sure is hard to tell, when they are all the same size!
    Brenda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by