1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy Drakes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MsPoultry, Aug 9, 2014.

1. MsPoultry

MsPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    I have 2 black barred muscovy drakes no duck hens.I read that the drakes of this breed are really randy,and aggressive maters.Are they going to mate with my chickens and or young geese.Their only 6 months old now but they grow fast![​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They may it won't matter if they mate with your geese nothing can come of it ,my gander mated with my Muscovy's for 5 yrs till I got him a goose, but if they mate with your chickens it will most likely kill them since they are not made to be mated internally. So either your going to have to get your drakes some girls of their own 2-4 each or separate them from your hens. My Muscovy drakes never touch my hens , they have their own girls. [​IMG]

3. MsPoultry

Aug 9, 2014
    Thanks for the reply it's very helpful.[​IMG]

4. MsPoultry

Aug 9, 2014
    My drakes just started trying to mate with my geese my gander was very unlucky!He's still young and couldn't fight off one of the drakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by