Muscovy Duck abandoned 5 eggs

blackdame

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
Our muscovy duck finally hatched her clutch so we have 8 healthy ducklings running around yay! She left behind 5 eggs in the nest, we figured she abandoned them because she didn't lay on them the whole day like she did the ones that were hatched. We went into her coop and removed the eggs opening them up to make sure they were bad. 4 of them were rotten and the 5th
ep.gif
had a live duck in the egg. I didn't know how to go about it all I knew was the duckling was alive so I hatched it completely from the shell. I know now that I shouldn't have removed the whole shell I've been googling all night. My question is what should I do now. We have the duckling under a lamp and have been giving it water with a syringe. Andrew as we're calling it is fighting. The duckling is drying out slowly and is moving slowly but it's seems so weak and so small. I had put the duckling in the coop to see if mama duck would do anything but nothing she ignored it. Please any advice would help at this point I don't want Andrew to die.

Thanks.

Does it seem fully formed? When my ducks were too early they seemed to have insides that were on the outside like a prolapse. I had those two ducklings put down. The other guy who I think was too early as well (I helped more then I should have after doing some research) seemed to be dumb for a day or two wouldn't open it's eyes kept falling backwards I was worried it didn't know how to eat properly... I started it on electrolytes and vitamins (I used electrovytes by dominion) and the Ned day the eyes were open and it seemed to be smarter about eating and standing... I had also put a chick in with it for the night to demonstrate eating properly.
I dunno it this helps you or not!

Unfortunately Andrew didn't make it
sad.png
He was fully formed except for his umbilical cord out. We thought he'd make it as he was moving about but nature had other plans. Thank you for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom