Muscovy duck acting off

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FathertoFeathers, Nov 16, 2019.

1. FathertoFeathers

FathertoFeathers Songster

Aug 26, 2019
    Tennessee
    One of my female ducks has been acting odd lately. She kinda hangs out by her self instead of with the other girl muscovy ducks and doesn't move much. She has been sitting all puffed up and sleeping way more than usual. All the other ducks have been acting normal lately.
    Some background: I had four ducks before who were all mallard derived then I purchased three muscovy ducks (two female and one male) The male died recently from a dog attack and while the two muscovy girls were shaken up at first they quickly integrated with the mallard derived ones. Could it just be from stress? She is a very very shy and quiet duck to begin with so could the loss of the male muscovy make her depressed? Any help is appreciated! God bless!

Raenh likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Mary Did You Know....

How old is she? Had she been laying up until she started acting off? Do you know if she’s eating and drinking?

Raenh and Duckfarmer1 like this.
  3. FathertoFeathers

Aug 26, 2019
    Tennessee
    She is laying and she is eating and drinking.

Raenh and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. FathertoFeathers

Aug 26, 2019
    Tennessee
    She isn’t socializing with the flock at all today and has just been standing puffed up in the same spot since I let them out of their pen this morning.

Attached Files:

Raenh likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Laid an egg in the last day? Just wanting to rule out egg bound. I think I’d place her where you can monitor her and see if she’s eating and drinking . Something is defiantly going on. My Muscovy ducks are going through various stages of molt and aren’t their normal selves molt can make them grumpy and not feel their best. Do you know if she’s molting?

Raenh and Jpat like this.
  6. FathertoFeathers

Aug 26, 2019
    Tennessee
    Yes she has laid a egg in the past day and I checked to see if she was egg bound but didn’t feel anything. I have seen her eat and drink but not as much as usual. It could be molting there have been a lot of feathers laying around the yard.

Raenh and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    I would still separate her for closer monitoring since she isn’t being social anyways and that won’t ..or hopefully won’t stress her more. That way, if she’s with you, you can feed he alone and measure what she is drinking. How about adding some vit B complex to a special treat? It’s sold at tractor supply in the cattle section..it says to use a syringe to administer, but not with a duck..put 1 mm in a tomato or over meal worms, etc. how about checking her over for any injuries? Better safe than sorry. These are things I would start with

8. Miss Lydia

Raenh likes this.
  9. FathertoFeathers

Aug 26, 2019
    Tennessee
    Ive seen her follow her other muscovy friend around a bit more today the last day but she still will remove herself from the flock. She's still eating and drinking but doesn't run over to get food like she usually does. When I get out of school I'm planning on putting her in quarantine to monitor her more closely.

Raenh, Skippersnh and Miss Lydia like this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Good idea!

Raenh likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: