Muscovy Duck Can't Walk? Gapeworm?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JewelBirds, May 24, 2019.

1. JewelBirds

JewelBirds Songster

Apr 13, 2017
    Hello,
    I suspect that my Muscovy drake has gapeworm. For the past week or so, he has been limping. I found that he had a touch of bumblefoot (although I am not sure for a fact that is what caused him to walk unsteadily). I have recently started treating the bumblefoot.
    However, today I found him stuck on his back and unable to turn over. After helping him over, he wasn't really able to stand up fully or walk around. He tried to but he didn't get very far and he just laid on the ground shivering. Right now he's inside in a dog cage with water and food (which he didn't touch - he did eat this morning though). I didn't initially think gapeworm until I brought him inside. He keeps on opening his beak like he's gasping and he did shake his head a couple times. He just started this.
    I have never dealt with gapeworm, but I searched online and it suggested using Safeguard (the one labeled for goats). The dosage amount has been inconsistent so I was hoping someone on here knows how much to give, and hopefully has actually used this product before on their ducks with that dosage?

2. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    @casportpony knows all the doseages

casportpony likes this.
  3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    How old is he?
    What do you feed him and do you have a scale to weigh him?

Also can you take a few pictures of this bumblefoot?

casportpony and DuckyDonna like this.
  4. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    JewelBirds likes this.
  5. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    The opening of the beak and gasping could be him having trouble breathing from a respiratory infection too.

Can you take a video of him and upload it to YouTube?

DuckyDonna likes this.
  6. JewelBirds

JewelBirds Songster

Apr 13, 2017
    He is almost 2 years old and weighs 10 pounds.
    Here's the pictures of his feet. The first one is his left foot, and the second one is his right foot. I'll have to try to get a video, but unfortunately my good camera only takes photos so I'll have to take one with my phone (so it may turn out a little blurry/grainy).
    IMG_7723.JPG
    IMG_7728.JPG

Texas Kiki likes this.
  7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    See how swollen the left one is? That's infection.

What do you feed him daily?

8. JewelBirds

JewelBirds Songster

Apr 13, 2017
    Okay. I was going to apply some Blu-Kote and Vetericyn today, will that help with the infection or does he need antibiotics?
    He gets All Flock pellets as the main food, grit for digestion, and scratch on the side (although I have been slowly decreasing this once I realized how unnecessary it was). They also occasionally get mealworms, watermelon, and veggie scraps. They have access to a fenced 3/4 acre area and they share it with the chickens and goats. It sometimes gets flooded in certain spots and they'll swim in it sometimes and look for things like frogs.

9. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Antibiotics will be best but the pus will need to come out for them to work.

Is a vet an option?
    His breathing is more important than the foot right now.

DucksOhio and DuckyDonna like this.
  10. JewelBirds

JewelBirds Songster

Apr 13, 2017
    A vet is not an option, unfortunately. My local vets have made it clear that they will not see poultry because they know nothing about them. I went through that with one of my chickens. I did an online search for poultry vets and the closest one is 60+ miles away. What can I do to help his breathing? I have the Safeguard and some VetRx. Would a warm bath/vapors help?

Texas Kiki likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: