Muscovy Duck Color?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by thirdcharm, Dec 26, 2010.

1. thirdcharm

thirdcharm New Egg

Dec 26, 2010
    What color is this duck? I have been looking for a pic of a duck with the same color to identify, but can't seem to find any. Is it unusual?

The hen was black with a white head/neck, the drake, who showed up on our property with her was black with a little white on his head. The other four ducklings are mostly black with some white on the heads, two started out black and two started out black and white barred but darkened up.

http://www.facebook.com/index.php?l...532664&set=a.1753767492663.2100601.1493197238

Jennifer

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Link page unavailable so cant see it [​IMG]

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

They sound like they're probably Black Pied or Black White-Headed Scovies... with the barring gene. but the pictures are unavailable.

4. thirdcharm

thirdcharm New Egg

Dec 26, 2010
  5. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I am only guessing this because another person told me that's what mine was but.... blue?

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

That one thats Really in the picture is a Blue Pied.

7. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    He is a blue pied. If he had barring as he grew up, he is still a barred. For some reason, it darkens up drastically as they mature. Here's my barred blue pied drake as a wee little baby:

[​IMG]

And here he is now:

[​IMG]

9. thirdcharm

thirdcharm New Egg

Dec 26, 2010
    That's what i suspected from descriptions I had read. He never had any barring unlike 2 of his hatchmates (they still have barring on the body). Is blue a common color? Desirable?

I grew up on a working farm so I have always been around ducks, but the muscovies are cool and friendly and the different colors appeal to me due to my interest in breeding and genetics (I breed performance horses). I told my husband I might see if Daffy is a 'good example' of a muscovy and take him to the fair. LOL.

Jennifer

10. Josie360

Josie360 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Central Texas
    Another color question... [​IMG] I know I have a blue pied and a chocolate pied...what are the others?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by