Muscovy duck hatched EE chicks! Question.

rachel

Songster
12 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Today was only day 20 so I was surprised to see little fluffy chicks sticking out from under my muscovy this morning. I read on another thread that the chicks should be taken away from the duck because she will step on them. I was hoping to wait until the hatch was finished to do this. Does anyone know how long I can wait, or have any experience/advice with this situation? It seems like they wouldn't really be in any danger until they got out of the nest...? Thanks!

Anyone? I went ahead and put them in the brooder. The duck was obviously very displeased with me. I gave her some muscovy eggs (not hers, we don't have a male) that had been in the incubator for 2 weeks. I'm wondering if she'll sit for another 3 weeks since the chicks she hatched were under her for such a short time...?

I have my muscovy duck sitting on some EE eggs too. Since I also don't have a male. Eggs are day 20 today. I did find a chick next to her dead this morning. So not sure if she killed it or what happend. It was completely developed even the yoke was absorbed. So I am watching her and I do plan to put them in the brooder. She will likely be very unhappy with me.

Back
Top Bottom