Muscovy duck help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mich9510, Sep 18, 2016.

1. mich9510

mich9510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    Hi everyone. I don't usually post in the Duck forum but I have an issue I need help with. I work at a restaurant that has a pond out back. There are lots of ducks that live there. Mallards, pekins, and muscovys. People feed them all the uneaten dinner rolls so they don't migrate. Recently one of the scovys bit a kid on the nose. The father came in and threw a fit (even though he let the kid chase and tease the ducks). The owner was found to euthanize the scovys since they are the boldest of the ducks so I took them to live at my house. There are three and I think they are all males. I have them in quarentine since they have basically been wild for the past few years. Their poop is nothing but liquid, like water. I was thinking I need to worm them and maybe medicate them. But not sure what they might have to know what to medicate them with. There are no avian vets near me. Do you all have any advice?

2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Sorry can't help ya but really...people are so stupid...that's all I have to say.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    They may simply be malnourished. I would take a stool sample to a vet's office and ask them to test for parasites.

Meanwhile, I would start feeding them well. Within a day or so their manure should start getting more normal. I also would give them probiotics in their water - they may have out of balance gut flora from an unhealthy diet.

On behalf of the Muscovies, thank you. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. purslanegarden

purslanegarden Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2016
    Maybe the restaurant also needs to post signs about not feeding the ducks or not bothering them.

For all intents and purposes, if you're now keeping those ducks, you should just treat them as you would any ducks that you're raising, so get the kinds of feed or food that are mentioned in many of the threads here, as well as providing a predator-safe home for them.

2 people like this.
  5. mich9510

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA

I agree about the signs but the people who own the restaurant think that's part of the appeal of eating there. It drives me crazy....
    The mallards don't migrate and some of the pekins and mallards die over the winter due to no shelter, predators, malnutrition, etc. I always ask my customers not to feed the ducks and the reasons why but they never listen. Sad. Thanks for your advice. The scovies are eating what I feed my little guys and have a good life now. Their pond is significantly smaller but they'll adjust. I'm going to tractor supply for some probiotics. I also ferment their feed so that will help. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    FF is great to help get them back in good health I make it for my scovys and flock.

Thank you so much for rescuing these ducks. Muscovy's get very friendly just like a puppy dog that is why they are bold. Such a shame people don't teach their children how to respect animals.Please keep us updated on how they are doing.

2 people like this.
  7. mich9510

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    I see it all the time... Little kids chasing and trying to grab the ducks, especially the babies. I had to go yell at a family that was letting their adolescent son try to catch the one little Pekin that just hatched. It's mom was going nuts. I can't even imagine the stress on both mom and baby.
    Then people say the scovies are nasty mean ducks. They just say that because they're not very attractive. They think that they're hissing at them in an aggressive way.
    I tried to tell people that they can't quack....
    It doesn't matter now they are safe at my house. Poor things.

1 person likes this.
  8. mich9510

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    I'll post a picture later once I get home.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

10. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    I think all the ducks there need to be placed in good homes. Thank you for trying to protect them, and thank you for rescuing the Muscovies.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by