Muscovy duck help

Here they are. Starting to have some formed poops. Eating fermented poultry feed instead of a steady diet of bread.
They are very nice boys!

Here they are. Starting to have some formed poops. Eating fermented poultry feed instead of a steady diet of bread.
They are very nice boys!
Muscovy drakes are very special. That is great they are already showing a good turn around. I believe they will be very happy with you.

I thought they were all boys but now that I'm spending more time with them I'm wondering. One is bigger than the other two and seems very protective over them. He actually does hiss and it sounds like a snake. Then his little mohawk goes up and he starts walking toward me or the kids or the dog shaking his tail. I read that you can tell Muscovy drakes from females by the size of their feet. Is that right? They all seem to have the same size feet. Is there any other way to tell?

I can usually identify gender of my Muscovies by about 8 weeks, based on size difference. The drakes will have thicker and larger legs and feet (this difference is very pronounced as adults) and seem to be at least a third larger than the ducks overall. Ducks will also look more "feminine" than drakes, more petite and fewer caruncles. Do you have any additional pics of the questionable drakes? Close-ups would help.
1f642.png

Here are some better pictures...

This is the big guy that I'm sure is a male.

The following pictures are of the two quiet ones I'm not sure about.

The bigger one's tail is wider. That's what I was trying to show. They all seem to have the same amount of caraunicles (sorry if I spelled wrong). And the feet and legs seem to be the same size. The bigger just seems to be so protective of the smaller two. He also hisses like crazy as soon as he sees a person or the dog. the other two never make a sound. Any one want to guess at their gender?

I was also wondering if I can make them more friendly somehow. The ssmaller two keep their distance and the larger one bites me every chance he gets. I've been hand feeding them every day. They will eat from my hand. I know it takes time but have they suffered too much abuse to trust humans again?

Full disclosure: my experience is based on Muscovies that I've raised or that a broody has raised, rather than wild ones. That said, I think you're on the right track - you're building trust and an association with good things, like treats. Patience and consistency will be important. Muscovies seem to retain their "wild" instincts...while some may be friendlier than others, mine prefer an arm's length relationship, and I respect their space (most of the time - sometimes, I'll sneak in a pet or two when they mill around at feeding time, which they tolerate). I further think that with time, they'll come to see you as a positive part of their lives, and the drake will hopefully feel less like he has to be so protective of the others. Muscovies are smart creatures, don't let the caruncling fool you.
1f609.png

Back
Top Bottom