muscovy duck is cracking open eggs she is sitting on

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by piggfarmer, Nov 22, 2013.

1. piggfarmer

piggfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    hi all, we have an ongoing problem, which is that our muscovy duck is cracking open her eggs and sometimes dropping them in her water bowl. she has been doing it for a while. at first the eggs didn't have feotuses in them so i thought, oh, they must be unviable. she did it again a few times, then about a week ago, there was a dead duckling in her water. it was about a week and a bit off hatching. now this morning there was a not quite fully formed duckling dying in her nest. there are only 7 eggs left out of about 16 when she started sitting. i'm worried she will kill the rest. not all the eggs were from her, some are khaki campbells and are black. is she killing them because they are unviable or because she can tell they are not hers??

any info woul behelpful.

thanks,

bridget

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm not sure what maybe going on in her head. there are great broodys and not so great ones and we never know till they start how they will be ,just as there are great broody's and not so great mama ducks and once hatching begins they kill their ducklings. Tell us a bit more, How old is she , is this her first time brooding? is she left alone by the rest of the flock ? is there are drake in the same house she is sitting in? Are you saying the khaki campbells eggs are blk or the duckling that was dying was blk. I doubt she can distinguish any difference in her eggs and someone else' s or her ducklings from someone else' s if she hatches them.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  3. piggfarmer

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    she is by herself in a barn, separated from other ducklings (not hers), two ducks and the drake. i don't know how old she is or ifit is her first time or not, the person i got her off didn't give me those details. the duckling was black, therefore must be a khaki campbell, her ducklings will be yellow. i can't see your reply right now so can't remember if you asked anything else.

thanks for your reply

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Not necessarily will her ducklings be yellow, I have Scovy's and ducklings here can hatch different colors from blk to brown to yellow not that it matters I don't think color would mean anything at all as far as killing the duckling.
    I had a duck sit and was an excellent broody but soon as ducklings began to hatch started trying to kill them, I managed to save one, next year she sat and was an excellent mama you just never know. The whole time she has been sitting has she had access to feed water bathing out side time off the eggs? Just to give you an idea that this does happen at times.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...hatch-and-i-find-them-dead-all-around-the-pen

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  5. piggfarmer

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    the update is that we removed all but two of her eggs (which i am pretty sure are rotten) and one started hatching this morning in the incubator. i am a bit pessimistic about the other 3 eggs in the incubator (i removed one already that is definitely rotten), however if they are moscovies they should hatch in a few days in theory. so sadly i think nancy killed 2 of possibly only 3 ducks likely to hatch :( you win some you lose some. thanks for replies and links, much appreciated.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's sad but hopefully you'll have a lil duckling soon to help with the sorrow of the loss of the others. Please let us know when it hatches [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by