Muscovy Duck, Jethro, sick, West Nile???

Horse Rx

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2020
My pet duck has been sick off and on since last April. The vet originally called his condition Limberneck. He took Meloxicam and SMZ TMP for about 2 weeks and recovered mostly. He could walk and eat on his own until it happened again about 2 months later. Again we treated him with the same meds. I have since learned that he may have had a vitamin deficiency, so we started giving weekly B12 shots per vet, liquid B12 in water bowl, and some other things. He has drastically declined in the last 2 days. I started Meloxicam 3 days ago at first signs of Limberneck and the SMZ TMP today for his fever. I have heard to use Ivermectin for the virus and possible worms. What is the dosage to use? Also I'm giving him BOUNCE BACK MULTI SPECIES ELECTROLYTE SUPPLEMENT along with plain water so as to not overwhelm his kidneys. How long can he take this?
20210124_155647.jpg

Last edited:
My pet duck has been sick off and on since last April.
How old was your Muscovy last April when the condition presented and WHAT is fed on a regular basis including treats and supplements? What sort of flock mates and environment is it in.. open pond, etc?

Some limp neck (possibly not the same as limber neck but maybe another consideration/perfect storm type situation??) is indeed vitamin deficit but I'm not sure a b12 would be sufficient to correct it and even suspect perhaps not. B complex might be helpful.. including some thiamine and niacin.. though I am NOT claiming any expertise! Just opening up the conversation.

Hope your feathered friend recovers quickly! :fl

I thought of B complex also but hate to go against what a vet rec. Sure wouldn't hurt to try some b complex though can't see it hurting. TSC is has one in liquid which has been a good one for us water fowl lovers.

I thought of B complex also but hate to go against what a vet rec.
I value veterinarians hugely and respectfully understand the challenges they are working with especially in animal medicine. :thumbsup

I simply consider them to be human and possibly have off days, miss something, or even just have it slip their minds.

I also recognize that vets many have different perspectives than each other and ALSO different training/accreditation and/or resources/equipment, etc and not all are created equal. Some graduated at the bottom of the class as well. NO disrespect intended to them.. I question EVERY thing.. in order to be informed about the choices I make, NOT to be disrespectful, hopefully!

Also, if I do THINK one has completely missed the boat.. am not above completely disagreeing with them.. either it helps or I learn WHY they were correct.. some aren't worth the salt in the sweat on their brow.. straight give bad advice.. even treat their patients poorly and should lose their license to practice all together.. what goes on behind closed doors can be WELL hidden to the public. One local vet told a poultry keeper to put their bird into a feed sack with DE and shake like shake N bake to combat poultry lice/fowl mites. DE is completely ineffective in humid environments like or local climate and that was harmful advice IMHO.. and I let them all know that.. USE something that works IN YOUR area and also withOUT harming your animals!! Sorry for the mini vent. :smack

ALWAYS question authority, seek the truth. ;)

Since B vitamins are water soluble any excess will be passed in droppings. I know they help support many things immune system related and truly do not believe they will be harmful or would not suggest it, though admit to learning something new DAILY. Consulting your veterinarian who is overseeing your gorgeous bird already would be a good choice. :highfive:

ETA: you should be able to test for west nile.. I volunteered at a wildlife rehab where one of the Harris hawks brought in by the public had west nile and completely forgot how to eat. We hand fed it hunks of BOP (ground bird of prey, meat.. likely horses, etc.. used in many zoos) shoved down the throat.. the bird literally could not swallow. It was still doing well but my time was up before the end of the story.. Wild animals which cannot be released back but do recover are kept in zoos for "educational" purposes. :fl

Last edited:
Nervous system impairment can be attributed to several conditions in ducks; determining the underlying cause is often difficult, and may rely upon a large amount of the diagnostic tests done by your vet. Working a little bit closer with your vet, asking what things can be done to further diagnose what is affecting him might be the best way to get his condition back into good health.

It may be helpful to see a video of him moving around, as the term "limberneck" should be described as complete paralysis of the anterior neck muscles ( limber neck is mostly associated only with botulism in ducks). Conditions such as wry neck, or opisthotonos are similar in the way of abnormal neck movements, but not in the way that the duck has some muscular control of the neck. In consideration of a possible nutritional deficiency, I think it may be in your best interest to cover more grounds, instead of administering just one vitamin. B12 plays a role in neurological health, but so do a wide variety of other vitamins. Thiamine and vitamin E are two responsible for some neurological health and commonly encountered nutritional deficiencies in birds

That being said, you may consider starting him on a broader poultry vitamin ( there are several on the market in the U.S). Otherwise, giving 1/4 of a B complex tablet, or a few drops of Cattle B complex may suffice. Vitamin E given at 400iu a day may prove beneficial as well.

You have not yet described if he is eating, or drinking much, but when I'm handly a bird in a similar state, it's often best to assume possible weight loss and dehydration. If you have an accurate scale, it would be precautious, to start weighing him daily, and watching his weight. A 5-10% decrease in weight over several days should suggest supplemental tube feeding to maintain nutritional and hydration status. I'm sure your vet could shine light on preforming such a task, but you can so find information on the subject in the link below:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

If you could provide some more information on the duck, such as a video of him, pictures of his feces, if you have performed a physical exam, and what you have found that may help us, better help you, although being able to examine the duck, and perform diagnostic tests will greatly improve the prognosis that's why I believe the vet might be your best bet here. If you're not satisfied with what the vet has done, you may try looking elsewhere.

He is beautiful. Very sorry he has been sick. I was always under impression that limber neck was another term used for botulism? I'm def not an expert but I know a few on here that have quiet a bit of knowledge about diseases. @casportpony is one. I hope you can get some help for your boy he is gorgeous. I have Muscovy and am very much in love with the breed.
https://timbercreekfarmer.com/duck-botulism-treatment-recovering-from-limberneck
Thank you. He passed away this afternoon. We are very broken hearted. We have many, but he was so special. I'd still like to know what was wrong with him. Muscovies are entertaining ducks. Jethro would wag his tail and huff each a.m. and p.m. for me to give him some treats.

Nervous system impairment can be attributed to several conditions in ducks; determining the underlying cause is often difficult, and may rely upon a large amount of the diagnostic tests done by your vet. Working a little bit closer with your vet, asking what things can be done to further diagnose what is affecting him might be the best way to get his condition back into good health.

It may be helpful to see a video of him moving around, as the term "limberneck" should be described as complete paralysis of the anterior neck muscles ( limber neck is mostly associated only with botulism in ducks). Conditions such as wry neck, or opisthotonos are similar in the way of abnormal neck movements, but not in the way that the duck has some muscular control of the neck. In consideration of a possible nutritional deficiency, I think it may be in your best interest to cover more grounds, instead of administering just one vitamin. B12 plays a role in neurological health, but so do a wide variety of other vitamins. Thiamine and vitamin E are two responsible for some neurological health and commonly encountered nutritional deficiencies in birds

That being said, you may consider starting him on a broader poultry vitamin ( there are several on the market in the U.S). Otherwise, giving 1/4 of a B complex tablet, or a few drops of Cattle B complex may suffice. Vitamin E given at 400iu a day may prove beneficial as well.

You have not yet described if he is eating, or drinking much, but when I'm handly a bird in a similar state, it's often best to assume possible weight loss and dehydration. If you have an accurate scale, it would be precautious, to start weighing him daily, and watching his weight. A 5-10% decrease in weight over several days should suggest supplemental tube feeding to maintain nutritional and hydration status. I'm sure your vet could shine light on preforming such a task, but you can so find information on the subject in the link below:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

If you could provide some more information on the duck, such as a video of him, pictures of his feces, if you have performed a physical exam, and what you have found that may help us, better help you, although being able to examine the duck, and perform diagnostic tests will greatly improve the prognosis that's why I believe the vet might be your best bet here. If you're not satisfied with what the vet has done, you may try looking elsewhere.
[/Q

Jethro passed away this afternoon. Thank you anyway.

How old was your Muscovy last April when the condition presented and WHAT is fed on a regular basis including treats and supplements? What sort of flock mates and environment is it in.. open pond, etc?

Some limp neck (possibly not the same as limber neck but maybe another consideration/perfect storm type situation??) is indeed vitamin deficit but I'm not sure a b12 would be sufficient to correct it and even suspect perhaps not. B complex might be helpful.. including some thiamine and niacin.. though I am NOT claiming any expertise! Just opening up the conversation.

Hope your feathered friend recovers quickly! :fl
He would've only been 2 in May. He was the only duck out of nearly 40 that has gotten sick. He had a very large area to roam prior to becoming sick. Once he got sick he could not be around other drakes. They would attempt to attack him, so he had his own giant pen with large outdoor area and small pond. We would occasionally put some chlorox in the pond for green algae. Any suggestions are appreciated to offset future problems.

Back
Top Bottom