Muscovy Duck laying age

downrangechick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 2, 2013
NE Michigan
Hello. I just picked up a drake and hen Muscovy. I fell in love with the drakes carnucles. They are 4 months old. When should I expect eggs? We are in Michigan and getting our first snow right now. I was told by breeder they are prolific layers. Is their anything important I need to know? Thanks!

Hello. I just picked up a drake and hen Muscovy. I fell in love with the drakes carnucles. They are 4 months old. When should I expect eggs? We are in Michigan and getting our first snow right now. I was told by breeder they are prolific layers. Is their anything important I need to know? Thanks!
You won't see eggs till next spring, Scovy's are seasonal layers from spring till fall. They also like to brood so you'll be having more ducklings than you can shake a stick at if your not careful.
lol.png
Give them a draft free secure place to sleep at night with soft bedding and a deep bucket to wash their faces in and they will be happy ducks. I wouldn't put the water bucket in their house though or they will make a mess in no time.
welcome-byc.gif

You won't see eggs till next spring, Scovy's are seasonal layers from spring till fall. They also like to brood so you'll be having more ducklings than you can shake a stick at if your not careful.
lol.png
Give them a draft free secure place to sleep at night with soft bedding and a deep bucket to wash their faces in and they will be happy ducks. I wouldn't put the water bucket in their house though or they will make a mess in no time.
welcome-byc.gif
thumbsup.gif
Yep, my 5mth old isn't laying either. Nothing really of note, other than watch that flesh, i use Vaseline often on it moreso for drakes... frostbite! As ML said, be prepared Muscovy breed like rabbits(actually guppies if you've ever had the pleasure of those) I thwart nests many, many times a year... i had a few trying to set back in Sept/Oct. This past feb i had one set, she hatched those in March. This is Canada, so we we were definitely winter.

Thank you. Ducks are a new thing. Every farm needs them I told my husband. They definitely will have a warm place. We built a new heated coop. It's better insulated than my house! must moved everyone into their part of it a couple weeks ago.

Thank you. Ducks are a new thing. Every farm needs them I told my husband. They definitely will have a warm place. We built a new heated coop. It's better insulated than my house! must moved everyone into their part of it a couple weeks ago.
Okay now we have to see pics of Everything ,Ducks house and the Scovy's too
pop.gif

I agree with above, you probably won't see eggs until spring as they tend to be seasonal layers in the colder parts of the country.
I live in Maine and mine lay March/April through Oct/Nov. But every once in a while you will get a young duck who lays a few in the winter.

Just be sure they can get out of the cold as they are more prone to frostbite than other breeds. But it sounds like you have that part covered! Just make sure the coop is well ventilated. You don't want it shut up tight if it's that well insulated. They don't really need a heated, warm place to stay. Just a place with deep bedding to nest in, warm themselves up, and get out of the elements

Back
Top Bottom