Muscovy duck laying in August

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by khop04730, Aug 10, 2011.

1. khop04730

khop04730 New Egg

May 17, 2011
    We just got a female Muscovy for our male a couple weeks ago and she lays an egg every day. We live in Northern Maine and it is August - if we let her keep them, it will be cold when the ducklings are little. Is it normal for her to lay now? Should I take the eggs away? So far, I've been taking each egg she lays at the end of the day. Will this deter her from laying in the same place in the future? We are OK with ducklings when it's warm out.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:It will take her 34 days to hatch a clutch once she starts to sit. So if she stated to sit at the end of August it would be late sept. before ducklings hatch, as far as too cold probably not mamas know how to keep their little ones warm, thats why they have down. So if you wanted ducklings this year probably not too late. Just remember she will lay a cluth could be 10,12 or 20 eggs before she actually starts to sit. so if you want her to hatch don't take her eggs at the end of the day. they won't start to develop till she starts to actually to sit. Good luck and keep us updated. I have 9 Muscovies and they are the greatest. I live in mtns of Western N.C. and my girls stop laying in September.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    It is completely up to you and what you are set up for.
    I am located in Southern Maine, so I know the temperatures and how quickly they change in Maine!
    My muscovies usually lay until mid-end of september, so if you want ducklings this will be your last chance. Stop collecting the eggs and she will build a nest. Mine didn't start to lay on the eggs until she had a dozen or so eggs collected. If it starts too cool off, don't worry. She will lay on the eggs if she feels the need to. Out of 22 eggs, my hen had 5 bad ones. I'm guessing they were the first ones she laid (she started a nest in April, it was still pretty cool out then). But the remaining 17 eggs all ended up hatching.
    You just have to be patient with them. I would suggest getting some hay to put in the area where she is laying. She will use it to build her nest, and it will help keep the eggs warm.
    As for the ducklings, september can be really cool (and especially October) for babies. But if you let her raise them, she should be fine. I would suggest setting up a heat lamp in a coop or something, that way she can snuggle them under it if it gets too cold. As long as she doesn't have too many (my hen could barely fit all 17 under her at once), she should be able to keep them all warm.
    But again, it's completely up to you. If you don't want to have to worry about them, then I would suggest waiting until spring and letting her hatch some then. If that's the case, keep collecting the eggs everyday. She will still lay in the same spot, but keep in mind that due to the season coming to an end she may stop laying in a month or so, and this is normal for a muscovy.

4. khop04730

khop04730 New Egg

May 17, 2011
    Thank you for the information! Now I have a much better idea on the situation. We don't want ducklings until spring so now I know what to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by