1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

muscovy duck mating

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lehcar52duck, Dec 12, 2014.

1. lehcar52duck

lehcar52duck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2014
    philippines
    My muscovies are mating how long till they lay eggs? [​IMG]
    Do i need to prepare nest box?

2. lehcar52duck

Oct 4, 2014
    philippines
    [​IMG]
    I made this is it ok???

3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    How old are they? Has the female laid any eggs ever? Nesting boxes are not needed but can be helpful. I believe Muscovies are more likely to use them but it may take some training. They are not like chickens and usually need encouragement to lay in one spot. Most ducks will lay in a corner so I would take one of the boxes out. What are you feeding them? And just to make sure you do have a female and male? Do you want ducklings or are you going to collect them to eat?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    With mine once mating starts usually anywhere from 3-4 weeks before eggs. My ducks usually lay in their shavings. But a few will lay in the chickens nest box.

1 person likes this.
  5. lehcar52duck

Oct 4, 2014
    philippines
    Its thier 1st time laying eggs i feed them vegetables and duck layer pellets combine with ground corn, yes i have 1 male and 5 female

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    And you being in a warm climate year round can probably have eggs anytime once mating starts, where I am Any of my Muscovy's that say hatched this past spring/summer won't mate till following year and start to lay around 7-9 months of age. No mating or egg laying from late Sept till Jan of Feb sometimes March of next year. Let us know when you get the first one,

7. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Sounds like you have everything covered and I would expect some eggs soon. Very exciting!

8. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    They might lay in those boxes if you have them penned. Mine prefer a covered nest on the ground. I took a large plastic dog carrier apart and placed both ends upside down. The girls laid in them all season long. I was able to practice "birth control" this year so I wasn't over run.

9. lehcar52duck

Oct 4, 2014
    philippines
    My ducks lay an egg today
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Awesome!