Muscovy duck thinks she's a chicken?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mamahen2104, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Mamahen2104

Mamahen2104 In the Brooder

Nov 2, 2019
    So I have a weird situation. I have 8 chickens and 4 ducks. 3 of my ducks, appleyard mix (?), runner, and magpie, act like normal ducks and love hanging out together. But my muscovy, who was raised with my chickens since 4 weeks old, prefers to hang with the chickens. Sometimes she walks around the other ducks when they're in the pool but 90% of the time she's with the chickens. Is this normal? Is she just identifying as a chicken?

FluffTheDuck, KaleIAm and Miss Lydia like this.
  2. nchls school

nchls school Crowing

Apr 22, 2015
    Tennessee
    It's quite possible that the muscovy imprinted on the chickens if she were raised with them and had no other ducks present.

Duckfarmer1 and Miss Lydia like this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She is imprinted on the chickens. The mallard derived ducks speak a different language than she speaks.

chickens really and FluffTheDuck like this.
  4. Mamahen2104

Nov 2, 2019
    Oh that makes sense, I didn't even think of her imprinting.

Oh I didn't even take into consideration they speak different duck languages! Huh the more you know!

chickens really and thumper650 like this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

My Muscovy do stick together but the seem to also get a their point across to the Runners, Buffs and chickens. I even have one Muscovy female that hangs more with the Runners and Buffs. How long was your Muscovy living with the chickens before you got your ducks? I always think of imprinting as when first hatched. But if she lived with them for quite a while before the other ducks came along she probably just feels comfortable with them. They don’t speak the same language either.

6. Mamahen2104

Nov 2, 2019
    She's been with them from the age of 4 weeks (August) until about a month or so ago when I introduced other ducks. I started with the runner and they hung out and she acted more like a duck, then we got a magpie and finally a silver appleyard mix and the three latter hang in their own group and the muscovy hangs with the chickens although she definitely checks in on the other ducks every now and then.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

She isn't welcome into the other Ducks flock because she is actually a different species so chooses the chickens she knows.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

Are they picking on her? I have a Muscovy female who hangs out with the runners more than the Muscovy although she gets along with everyone, we call her Miss congeniality!

Duckfarmer1 likes this.
  9. Mamahen2104

Nov 2, 2019
    No one picks on anyone actually. They all live peacefully. Except when it's treat time the ducks tend to get more greedy haha. The muscovy is like the mom friend to everyone and even preens everyone gently, the chickens especially. She prefers to nap with the chickens and the other ducks don't mind her. Today I've been seeing her hang out with my new big girl a little bit more so I think she likes her

Duckfarmer1 and Miss Lydia like this.
  10. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I guess you have no problems so Best wishes..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: