Muscovy Duck with neck/eyesight issue, HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Stuart36, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Stuart36

Stuart36 New Egg

Jan 17, 2016
    Norfolk
    Hello everyone,

I have a 1.5 year old female Muscovy who is acting strangely. She seems to have an issue with her neck as it always bending a bit to the side, but when I tried to feed her from my hand she kept missing the food and sometimes slowly spins in circles so I don't know if she has balance or eyesight issues. She is a lovely girl and I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance.

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello - is this a new problem your duck is experiencing, or has it been present for a while? What do you feed her?

A photo would be helpful, if you can attach one.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Some guesses and possibilities might be nerve damage, infection, or injury.

Ducks can recover from awful problems with TLC and the right help.

[​IMG]

4. cyriuskee

cyriuskee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2016
    Savannah, GA
    Wry neck also happens in adult ducks as well as ducklings and chickens. Try squeezing vitamin e capsules into her beak/mouth 3x a day for a week to 10 days and see if she improves.
    Good luck!

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Wry neck responds to B vitamin supplements, often.

Here is something I wrote a while back -

You have some options.

I would go with brewer's yeast. Forgive me for using capital letters, but for anyone else who may casually look over this thread, NOT baking yeast, NOT winemaking yeast. Brewer's yeast is a nutritional supplement and it provides niacin and a few other vitamins.

Generally, folks who supplement with brewer’s yeast use a tablespoon per cup of food.

Ducklings need about three times the niacin chicks do. And some ducklings get leg problems or seizures if they don't have enough niacin.

If you cannot find the brewer's yeast, or if you happen to have (here come the capital letters again, please forgive me) PLAIN niacin - NOT no-flush, NOT timed release, then dissolve 150 mg niacin per gallon of water for the duckling’s drinking water.

Another approach is to use B Complex capsules, and use the B3 - niacin - levels as a guide. Again, 150 mg B3 per gallon of drinking water.

Keep the little one on the supplements for about 8 weeks.

Sometimes it only takes a few days to see improvement.

You can also see how it went for Qwackers and Bentley from these threads.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/857143/treating-wry-neck-in-crested-duckling-edited-title

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @Stuart36

7. Stuart36

Stuart36 New Egg

Jan 17, 2016
    Norfolk
    Thanks for all your help. She got very bad and so we took her to a vets that gave her 3 injections, one was vitamins, one was cortozone (I believe) and I can't remember the third one. I have to inject her with Enrocare Solution once a day and she has made a massive improvement in the last 24 hours. I also force feed her some stuff that smells like Horlicks. The vet said it was a neurological disease and didn't hold out much hope for her, but she has made drastic improvements and I hope she gets back to herself. I will keep you informed.
    Thanks

8. cyriuskee

cyriuskee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2016
    Savannah, GA
    @Stuart36
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for your girl!
    (Maybe the other injection was prednisone?)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by