Muscovy duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JudysMuscovy, Apr 4, 2018.

1. JudysMuscovy

JudysMuscovy Songster

Dec 26, 2015
    Texas
    I hatched some ducks for some one and one of them is not right, it always has it's head looking back wards - it does move forward sometimes but mostly has it's head back. Is this neurological? Should it be called?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Sounds like a case of wry neck, Get some Poly vi sol with out iron and give 2 drops morn and evening hopefully that will take care of it. Give the lil one a chance to recover.

Soon2BChixMom likes this.
  3. JudysMuscovy

JudysMuscovy Songster

Dec 26, 2015
    Texas
    I have been giving it baby vitamins in the water so maybe it will take a while to fix?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Give right into mouth just inside the bill works faster. just 2 drops 2X a day. I'd do Poultry Nutri Drench in the water and baby vits into the bill.

5. JudysMuscovy

JudysMuscovy Songster

Dec 26, 2015
    Texas
    Oh ok I have just been adding to all of the water to keep all of them healthy. I think poor genetics and not feeding the flock betterhas something to do with this ? Or too much inbreeding - they are not my duckling's.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Could be any of them. But I have seen ducklings make it through with proper nutrients and poly vi sol seems to help tremendously.

Keep us updated.

7. JudysMuscovy

JudysMuscovy Songster

Dec 26, 2015
    Texas
    Okay I will try

8. Miss Lydia

Increase Thiamine for Progressive Paralysis & Stargazing / Wry Neck
    • This Progressive Paralysis progresses from toes to legs to wings to the neck. An affected bird will end up in a "star-gazing" stance with its neck bent back and beak pointed skyward.
      • When birds are given the medication Amprolium (to treat Coccidiosis, etc), shortly afterward they are especially vulnerable to experiencing a Thiamin deficiency.
    • Increase Vitamin B1 in the bird's diet immediately to help promote recovery.
      • Give a Multivitamin and/or Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) supplement, or
      • Feed foods that are rich in Thiamine, such as sunflower or sesame seeds, pork, wheat or peas (fresh or cooked), or enriched white rice.
        • Note: If you are treating a young chick, use only soft foods that are easy to digest, and sprinkle a little tiny, chick-sized grit on food.
      • [It's a thiamine deficiency so giving B Complex can help too but def the baby vits. since they are recommended for star gazing and wry neck ]

9. JudysMuscovy

JudysMuscovy Songster

Dec 26, 2015
    Texas
    Thanks for this - I had no idea what it was called but this is definitely it - I have been giving the polyvisol in the water since hatch - I tried to give it to him undiluted and he would not even drink it and I can't find the darn dropper that came with it. I do see some inprovement it's about a week old - I just added more to the tray of the water I will continue with that hopefully it fully recovers.
    Thanks again for the information

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

I hope the lil one recovers. :fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: