Muscovy Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Maddiesmom1993, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Maddiesmom1993

Maddiesmom1993 New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    Hello,
    I'm a teacher in Sacramento. A Muscovy duck has adopted the garden by my classroom as his new home. He seems ok: eating bugs, grooming, drinking water, and flying up to sit on the garden shed. He will sometimes venture to other parts of the school but always comes back to the garden by my classroom. He seems somewhat people friendly; he will let me get within a few feet from him. I set up a baby pool for him, but I don't want to feed him because I would like him to be motivated to go home. Does anyone have any ideas as to why he decided "hang around"? Should I feed him something? Any ideas appreciated!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    He may have been one of too many drakes and dumped off at your school it happens more than we know. especially if he is some what friendly. He maybe able to survive on his own for a while if your in a warm climate where there are plenty of bugs and vegetation, But if it's still cold he will be hungry,and could starve. Maybe if you can't adopt him see if someone who works at the school maybe able to take him or if there is a farm around who may want him. Muscovy's make awesome pets but are not for everyone, mainly because they are messy [all water fowl are] And they need to have protection from predators especially at night. So whoever adopts him will hopefully have a secure house for him and hopefully a friend since they are flock animals and need company, food can be duck feed or all flock feed. and kiddy pool which you have already provided and a bucket deep enough for him to wash his face. I hope you can find him a good home [​IMG] and bless you for caring.

3. Maddiesmom1993

Maddiesmom1993 New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    Miss Lydia,
    Thanks so much for your detailed response. This duck is so cute. I have really become attached to him. Our climate in Sacramento is unusually warm (75 degrees and a low of 45) and he has tons of bugs to eat in the grass and garden by my classroom. I see him eating grass too. How tall should the bucket be? He hasn't approached the kiddy pool yet. I will start to contact some farmers here in the area, that are trustworthy:), to see if I can find him a home. Does he need any kind of bedding or area to sleep in? He seems content to perch at the base of the trees during the day in the shade. I worry more about him in the summer when it gets over 100 degrees and there may not be a continual source of water. He does seem like he might be domesticated. He doesn't seem afraid of my students and will let me walk within a few feet of him. Do you think he needs some supplemental duck feed until I find him a home? Thanks again!!!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If it was me I'd be feeding him,, some feed stores may have small bags of feed so you would have to buy a huge 50lb bag, but it would be nice if he had something to eat.Most likey he did where ever he came from, Last year a teacher posted about someone dumping 2 little Pekins off at her school so it does happen and drakes would be the first to go in the adults. Protection from heat and predators is upper most he can probably find a cool place to get out of the heat but unless he is flying up into a tree to sleep at night he is vulnerable to many different preds. But unless you can get him into something where he would be safely locked up but still have fresh air that maybe hard to do. Great idea about trying to find him a home with a safe farmer. They are so good at eating flies alot of farmers keep them around with their livestock. They are the best natural pest control you could ask for. A 1 gallon bucket would be fine. Hopefully he'll soon be swimming too which will thrill the kids. Please keep me updated My first love are Muscovy's they are a very special breed. Have you seen him wag his tail yet? I am assuming this is a drake? can you post a pic?

5. Maddiesmom1993

Maddiesmom1993 New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    Thanks again! I haven't seen him wag his tail. Here is a picture.[​IMG]

6. lbrykowski2011

lbrykowski2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2013
    Capac, Mi
    I love when mine wags his tail, hope he finds a good home and glad to hear you care so much to take care of him for now. I only have 2 and they love their kiddie pool, he probably just has to get used to it yet, maybe a lil board for him to walk up to it and jump in?

7. craftiekids

craftiekids Chillin' With My Peeps

I also love "Scovies" and have several that live along with my chickens. Mine are used to going in our coop at dusk. Mine are fantastic foragers and take advantage of every mud puddle when it rains as well as the short pool they have. Definitely feed him a handful twice a day just to keep him coming back so you can catch him if you need to. They are really amazing to watch and this would be a great learning experience for your students if you can keep him. But I think your Boy may actually be a girl? My drake has a very distinctive nob on his head and much more red too. Maybe your students can look up some Drake or "male" photos & Duck or "female" and have them compare to find out what they may conclude from that. If it's male, most duck breeds have a slight curled feather at the base of their tail and a pronounced red wattling to the face & beak. Their behaviors are complex and really funny to watch and discover all the different "moods" of this wonderful animal. If you do get someone to take him home be careful to catch him from behind and hold him by the body with wings closed. This protects his wings and keeps you from getting scratched by his feet. They do have very sharp claws compared to other ducks and can scratch to defend themselves. Enjoy him while he's there and maybe your students would be interested in looking them up on the internet. Good luck! He's found a great friend in you and your students! Susie Q [​IMG] Here's a photo of my Drake his names Mac.
    [​IMG]
    You can really see his nob and how clear his wattle is.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is a young female Muscovy.. So much easier finding her a home than a drake and what a beauty.

9. craftiekids

craftiekids Chillin' With My Peeps

She is beautiful, they come in so many color variations and their black feathers actually look dark green tinted in the sunshine. females are much tamer than males and they all seem to set up a sort of territory where they want to settle and usually stay close by. maybe you can take her home and your students can watch her in photos? She is beautiful I wish I was close enough to get her but I'm in NC. My ducks are wonderful to watch and so funny to spy on when they don't think your watching.

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Isn't she lovely!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by