muscovy duck

mayuko

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 2, 2014
Hi, i moved in to a house and found last tenant of the house left a muscovy duck behind. I didnt know what to do, but i started feeding him and now hes following me around all the
time. He stays around the house during the day time and goes by the pond at night for sleep(?). Im feeding him a bowl of mixed rice, veges, fruits etc once a day. He seems lonely and hungry all the time.
Should i get him a friend?
Is what im feedin him ok?
Does he need a house?
Can i have chickens in a property(my dream)? Thanks guys

Are you able to get any growers? either chicken or duck? that would be much better diet, nothing wrong with some treats but a good solid feed will definitely keep the birds doing well.

Friend wise? cannot hurt, a real shame someone would just leave a bird behind. Ducks are flock animals and do enjoy the company of others. I lock all my Muscovy in housing at night and they free range during the day.

As for chickens? i have no idea what your allowed, where i live because i am rural i am able to keep livestock but laws vary so you could have to check with your town/city centre.

welcome-byc.gif

Hi, i moved in to a house and found last tenant of the house left a muscovy duck behind. I didnt know what to do, but i started feeding him and now hes following me around all the time. He stays around the house during the day time and goes by the pond at night for sleep(?). Im feeding him a bowl of mixed rice, veges, fruits etc once a day. He seems lonely and hungry all the time.
Should i get him a friend?
Is what im feedin him ok?
Does he need a house?
Can i have chickens in a property(my dream)? Thanks guys
Welcome to BYC. you have a gorgeous Muscovy drake[male duck] it's wonderful that you have adopted him, are there any other Muscovy's around on the pond? if not then UI would get him a friend, they are flock animals and he would be much happier if he had a couple girls of his own to hang out with, as for leaving him out at night well to me it's only a matter of time before a pred finds out where he is sleeping so if you can build him a house for protection that would be great. make it large enough to house more ducks than you decide to get so they have plenty of space and make sure to put ventilation in it for the helath of the ducks. stagnant air is not good for poultry. hardware cloth is a poultry keepers friend 1/2 inch that will cover windows and keep out any small predators like mink raccoons etc. food should be some kind of poultry feed he looks to be an adult so a chicken or an all flock feed or a water fowl feed. along with what you are feeding him that way he's getting all the nutrients he needs and he is probably eating greens and bugs from the pond too. as far as you keeping chickens on your property you'll have to check your zoning laws, because even your adopted duck may not be legal so you might want to keep it quiet. I think you can go on line to your area and find out info. as for housing if you type duck houses in the search box you'll come up with alot of links to look at and get ideas. Please keep us posted on what you decide to do. Take care of your new friend.

Thank you Going Quackers!
I will get proper duck food for him 'Yoko', also keep giving him treat every now and then ;) the treat chart you gave me is great!
A big family used to live here before we bought this place. There was probably 10 day gap between they left and we moved in. I can imagine how yoko was confused when all of sudden everyone left and no one to feed him....
I think we can have livestocks here, as I see chickens/geese(?) running around in neighbouring properties......But I will check it out.
Thanks again.

Thank you Miss Lydia!
We live in a fenced property and he is the only duck living here. Every now and then, 2 x little brown ducks come to swim in the pond, but they come and go. When they come for swim, Yoko(Muscovy) flies to the pond and follow them around, but seems like they ignore him! I think we will build a house for him, and eventually get another duck for his company....Lots to learn!!
Thank you again ;)

Thank you Miss Lydia!
We live in a fenced property and he is the only duck living here. Every now and then, 2 x little brown ducks come to swim in the pond, but they come and go. When they come for swim, Yoko(Muscovy) flies to the pond and follow them around, but seems like they ignore him! I think we will build a house for him, and eventually get another duck for his company....Lots to learn!!
Thank you again ;)
Sounds like he has a good home.. keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom