Muscovy Duckie eggs update

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fancie, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    got my 6 muscovy eggs in today and am letting them set. i read it'll probably be best to use a still air incubator, check. So I am getting that all ready. I plan on using an egg turner... but does anyone have any tips on giving me a great hatch??

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2009
  2. Fancie

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Fancie

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    Well my eggs are in the incubator. I ended up stuck the incubator in my house, and am maintaining the temp. in my house at 70 degrees cause I heard that my house vering in temputer can cause my incubator to.

If everything goes right I will have an Easter Muscovy Hatch!! Thats good luck right?????

I have been adding a whole glass of water every day but can't seem to get the humidity over around 42 - 50% but have been spritsing the eggs with one spray of water each twice a day.

I will be candling the eggs by the end of the week.

I have tried duck eggs in the past only to fail misserably (3 sets of 4 mandrain eggs... not cheap) So I am a bit parnoid with these.

Questions:

1.) Is everything I'm doing okay??

2.) In a still air incubator what fluctuation should I allow when it comes to tempater?? It says not to mess with the thermastat to much.

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:i have the lg still air, no fan no turner. i have 8 khaki campbells in the bator and they are all developing nicely. i had to put 2 extra water bowls in there and i also have 4 sponges in the bottom. (I live in ARIZONA so humidity is no so swell). And still its at 70% or more. So just try a few things, but dont take too long. They will be ok, since the mother duck gets off the eggs to go eat, drink, swim and then comes back. So dont worry too much about the humidity dropping (just not too low). If humidity gets too high when your trying to figure it out, pull the plugs out fo the top.

This is my first hatch but im giving you info from what ive been told and learned

5. Fancie

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    okay I took your suggestion. I took 3 of the racks out of my turner and put a small bowl of water... now we wait.....

Chickens (err Ducks too) are a great way to learn patience.. no

6. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:im using a half an egg carton for my turner (As i only have 8 eggs in there). prop it up one way, prop it up another the next time.... and so on

7. Fancie

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    candled my eggs today... and at least 4 are viable.... they two smallest ones I didn't see anything, but the four big ones I have veins! Yeah!!! [​IMG]

8. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
  9. Fancie

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    yes it will be a very long month..... Easter Muscovies!!!!

Thank you I printed it out to keep.... raise temp a degree.... more humitity!! Check!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2009
  10. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    My khakis are supposed to hatch the week of the 23rd. Yes, all week. I just keep throwing eggs in there, day after day. I finally stopped after 8 eggs were in there. LOL.

Sooooo i hoping they hatch, all of them are veining and i saw them wiggling!

Hope your hatch goes well!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by