Muscovy duckling any ideas about sex?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Miss Lydia, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She is 8 weeks this Friday? [​IMG]
    [​IMG] I am not a photographer as you can see but thought maybe someone could give me a clue. Thanks [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I thought someone with expertise in Muscovies would make a guess? It's been many years since we have had ducklings, and as bad as I want her to be a she, I am not sure. Any guesses?

3. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    I would guess that it's a drake.

Clint

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Thanks Clint for your reply, even though I was hoping for a different guess [​IMG] but no matter we will love it, when do the males and females voices change, cause this duckling sounds like a girl, always trilling non stop.

5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Is this the baby you posted in my thread that looked like mine? Sooo big! I don't know anything about muscovy ducks yet but I am astonished at the size of the legs on that duckling! They look like tree trunks and I see the beginnings of carnucles. I would guess a drake too but I'm having a heck of a time trying to see a difference between mine at 6 1/2 weeks. I'm supposed to have 1 boy and 1 girl but who knows. They just better not both be boys or the kid I bought them from is gonna have some splainin to do. [​IMG] Sure is a pretty duckling!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Thanks diana, I am thinking drake to now, after seeing others posting pictures of their muscovy ducklings. He is so sweet and friendly, Just makes me think hen. although my 2 drakes are very sweet. Would love to see pictures of yours now. And yes this is the baby, he/she will be 2 months old on Aug. 2nd. My dh says if a boy we'll call him Bob since we have been calling it Hope thinking girl all this time. [​IMG]

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    The leg thickness makes me wonder(drake).. fabulous colour though!

um, i'll see if i can find a hen picture mine are now flying and quacking though so there is absolutely no denying there hens!

Here is one of my hens and one of the drakes... I think it shows the differences in leg thickness pretty good.. i'll have to look up the age.. 9+weeks in this picture.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  8. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    I'm guessing it's a drake too based on the thickness of the leg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by