1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy duckling , can't tame it

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 6chicks&aduck, Aug 3, 2011.

1. 6chicks&aduck

6chicks&aduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    Hi , we got a scovy duckling that was 18 hrs old , we've had it for over a month , and it wont tame down.
    my daughter,who is 16 had one a few years back that was like a dog ,but this one is really wild ! she is gettiing frustrated and losing intrest in it.
    we've done the exact same things we did with our other one to tame it , and our other one was older when we got it. also , it is very aggressive to our chickens !
    Any suggestions on what to do would be great , THANKS !!!

2. nop169

nop169 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    I have about 40 muscovy adults free ranging on my farm that are all food tamed. They raise constantly and in my experience all the ducklings are "wild" until they are older - then they calm down. This holds true even with those we have hatched or pulled at a few hours old. Once they become "teenagers" and begin feathering well they usually calm down nicely. Note that I do not "pick up" my guys but they do follow us around the farm wanting feed or treats & mine are very curious.... had a group of 5 adults fly down in the pasture where I was repairing fence & they sat & watched me for a couple of hours. Mine meet me in the driveway when I come home from work waiting to be fed and I cannot walk for the press of them but if I am catching some of them for sale - they seem to know it & are leery of getting close! Also on the male you had who was chicken aggressive - that is not uncommon if you only have one duck & a male at that! Ducks are sociable & you need to have at least 2. Good luck.

3. 6chicks&aduck

6chicks&aduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    Thank you for your input, we'll see hoe it goes. our other one we had got along w the chickens just fine , it's this one that is aggressive to them

4. lilhens

lilhens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    good luck

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  5. ShuckyDuckyQuackQuack

ShuckyDuckyQuackQuack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    TX
    Have fun but ducks can be like babies sometimes, CRAZY !!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by