Muscovy duckling caruncles ...what sex is she?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wokawidget, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Wokawidget

Wokawidget Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Hi,

I have a 5 week old Black and White Muscovy duckling.

"She" has a small narrow head, small feet, no tree trunk legs...and when a did the vent sexing method a while ago I definately didn't see any male bits...but this was the 1st time I did it and i didn't want to hurt her.

She ticks all the boxes so far for being a female duck...however...just where her beak turns into skin and feathers, just above her nosterals, there is a 3mm sq patch of what appears to be the start of potential caruncles.

I have a read a few places that these don't start in females until they are feathered :(
    Is this a general rule of thumb, or is it random?

I know, I know...photo...I'll get one as soon as I have the chance

cheers,

Woka

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Caruncling (wonder if that's a word) occurs in some ducks earlier than others. Although most muscovy hens show relatively little caruncle development others have significant caruncles. Hopefully you have an early developing hen.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have found with mine there is no definite aging on when it occurs, i have 8 babies all from the same clutch the majority being male and the fleshy parts vary in the development. (they are 3mths) As for the ducks, this will vary too, some have more, some have less some have in-between amounts. I have one with significantly less than any other duck i have.

Here this is Lilly, she is the one with the least amount of the facial flesh

[​IMG]

Whereas this is Lilac as you can see she has much more, these ladies are practically the same aging give or take a couple mths.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  4. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I also agree that it depends on the duck. I have some that are roughly 6 weeks old and just starting to show caruncle growth. I vent sexed them when they first hatched so I know I have males and females. They are still similar in size, so its hard to tell males from females, but the caruncle growth seems to be about them same on all of them.
    I know its hard but waiting is the only thing you can do sometimes! Just give it some time!

5. Wokawidget

Wokawidget Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    I have taken some photos....finally.
    She/he is just over 5 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cheers,

Woka

6. Anne Seward

Anne Seward New Egg

Jan 16, 2017
    Hello. I'm new to this forum. I'm hoping that someone can tell me what gender this Muscovy is. It came into our animal rescue on the weekend. We have two female Muscovy's already and are hoping that this one is a female and can join the the group. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Anne Seward The Muscovy looks to be female to me. Lovely too.

Welcome to BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by