1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy duckling cheeping

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by K4zn4v3, Oct 28, 2010.

1. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    I have a muscovy duckling that I got directly froma hatchery. My duckling was sexed at the hatchery and was suppose to be a female but I am having my doubts. She is growing at a very fast pace. I was wondering if drakelets also make the trilling coo like cheeping sound. So there is no confusion, here is a link to a video with the sound I am refering to.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    At that age there is no real difference in the voice like with mallard derived ducks. With vent sexing- if a penis is seen it it a boy...if no penis is seen it is classed a girl- but there is the occasion that a male can be sexed wrong if the penis is there...but not seen by the person sexing the ducklings. They are very professional and do hundreds a day- but even an expert can get it wrong on an odd occasion. You may just have to wait a little longer to be 100% sure- but you should be able to be 99% confident at this stage she is a little girl.

What a little cutie though..she sure was enjoying her swim.

3. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    What hatchery was this? I have never heard of a hatchery that sells day-old, vent sexed 'scoveys!

4. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    It was a local hatchery called J.M. hatcherys. I just called and asked if I could come and pick one up and they said that it was fine. I requested a female and they vent sexed her. There are only about a 40 minute drive so I went up and got a duckling that was litterly only about 5 hours old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by