Muscovy duckling hatched under mom has still not absorbed yolk sac

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Marty907, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Marty907

Marty907 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2014
    North Pole Alaska
    My muscovy hen hatched 7 ducklings days ago and I noticed this morning that one of the ducklings yolk sac was still there. It seemed like it had dried out but the duckling seems weak and has a hard time getting around. What can I do to help it?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They can get an infection from this so I'd take the duckling inside and look real close at it. Clean it up with some iodine mixed with warm water to look like weak tea. and keep it as clean as possible I wouldn't put it back outside because bacteria can get into it very easily. If you can get a pic there are those on here who have had to deal with this who can advise you on what to do or if there is infection. Taking them from mama isn't fun but sometimes it has to be done. I'd also put some poultry vitamins in the water so the lil one gets some extra nutrients for now. It may need some antibiotics but lets see first what it looks like. FYI don't use any thing with pain relief in it to clean.

3. Marty907

Sep 13, 2014
    North Pole Alaska
    Okay, thank you! I will post a picture as soon as I get a chance!

4. Marty907

Sep 13, 2014
    North Pole Alaska
    [​IMG]

This is the baby, she is very weak but has good instincts. I cleaned it with the iodine and separated her to the garage. She has a very hard time moving around and holds her head straight out when she lays down.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd def put some kind of antibiotic ointment on that with out pain relief. Keep it as clean as possible till it dries up completely and falls off.

Lets see if @Lacrystol can help more.

You also might want to put another duckling or 2 with her for company they really don't do well alone, stuffed animal and a non breakable mirror will help too.

@RavynFallen

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  6. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

X2

Miss Lydia gave great advice... not too much else you can do but wait and keep it from tearing that open... if you have or can get some Tylan or Oxytetracycline, some kind of antibiotic, I would keep it on hand in case it gets infected... or even give it a tiny drop or 2 a day just to ward of an infection starting internally... good luck and just ask if you need more help...

1 person likes this.
  7. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    he's very dirt, he needs a good cleaning and some ointment, he needs to be very warm and most important to make sure he is at least drinking. he should have Vitamin b complex or some sort of Niacin in his water. It needs to stay COMPLETELY clean and dry and it may harden up and fall off which will be OK. but right now he's at a high risk for an infection..

8. Marty907

Sep 13, 2014
    North Pole Alaska
    I gave her some electrolytes to perk her up and she has since yesterday. She still has a very hard time walking, I don't know if it is because of the yolk sac or if it is something psychological.

9. Marty907

Sep 13, 2014
    North Pole Alaska
    She got really active yesterday evening and I went in this morning and she was dead...[​IMG]

10. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

I'm so sorry!!! :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by